C4 Forums | Control4

Video Selection Changed not reliable

VideoDemon

I have a basic question.  I am trying to set the HDMI inputs on my TV based on the video selection in a room.  I have 3 types: Tivo, Roku, & BluRay.  I am using the "Video Selection Changed" event for the room, and the following programming:

If Room Selected Video Device is Tivo

Set input to HDMI 1 on Room -> Television

Stop

If Room Selected Video Device is Roku

Set input to HDMI 2 on Room -> Television

Stop

...etc

Sometimes this goes to the proper HDMI input, and sometimes it does not.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Larry

I am doing some research with different approaches to get around various limitations on my equipment (receiver not providing DD out to TV, TV not passing through DTS, Beam only accepting DD & DTS).  Once I have it working, I can have my remote dealer do what I need within C4 if necessary.  It isn't feasible to have the dealer get involved for the experiments, since I am unsure what will work.  It's a pretty sad state of affairs that the new gear doesn't all work together - but I believe that I can figure it out.

So in this case, I am trying to override the normal C4 programming in the system.  It seems to work most of the time - but for whatever reason it is not working in a reliable way for this.

I thought that HE was meant to allow me to do this kind of programming.  Is there another way to do this that I am not thinking of?

It is not the fault of the installer.  It is working as initially installed.  I have made some changes, and I have a remote dealer do the necessary D4 SW changes when required based on any new equipment that I get.  Things such as adding new drivers, changing inputs, etc.  That works fine.  I just want to do some experiments with some new equipment that I am putting in to get around some limitations.

So, just so I understand.  If I program the TV to a different HDMI input after the initial selection is made, should that not work?  If so, I'm unclear why not?  All I'm doing is programming a device to do something.

Each source device driver connects to an input on the TV and the system sends the TV the associated code for changing the input. You don't need to test anything in that regard, you just need the device driver added to the system and connected to the correct input on the TV driver.

You can for sure send input commands to a TV via programming, but the connections will override it every source selection.

With programming after source selection, you'll need to add delays before your custom codes are executed so the entire system is finished processing the built-in commands otherwise you'll get a race condition of your code being sent before the built-in codes are executed.

It's kinda clunky to do that via programming than project setup and driver connections.

That was it, thanks.   It was racing.   I added a second of delay and it works as expected - at least once the room is already on.  I need to find a way to delay more when the room is first turned on.

And, yes, I know that this is a hack.  Once I have it working the way that I want, I'll have my remote dealer bind things properly.  But while I'm waiting for that appt I can use my system with the new gear.

Appreciate the quick help.

I got it working - wasn't hard once I understood the problem.  I'll complete what I did here for others who want to do something similar.

• As previously mentioned, I added a 1 second of delay for the "Video Selected Changed" trigger before doing any changes - otherwise, my original programming was fine
  • For the initial room power on, I triggered on the room power change variable, waited 15 seconds, then look for power state to be on (based on my setup - your delay might be different), then did the same if/then as before.

Everything works great.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.