C4 Forums | Control4

Issue with IP control - any help?

luckyc1423

Background on my equipment: 

1) using Xantech XT-CAT-ARC-KIT Audio over CAT cable with Built-In DAC

2) distributed video - Zuum H10X10 HDMI 10x10 4Kx2K Matrix Switcher with Full 3D Support

3) Control4 C4-EA5

4) All TV's - Sony XBR65X800H in all rooms (just different sizes) bought in early 2021

I bought all new TV's, sony TV's to make sure we could use IP as i didnt want to be forced to use IR.

We are having issues, random issues, and my dealer that i use is wanting to switch over to IR to remove the issues. He said he was having issues with IP and now all his clients are on IR. He is amazing and very responsitive (talks to me anytime of night when i have questions - very good). 

This is my last ditch effort in hopes that someone else knows what is going on with the sony tv's. as my IP works well for everything else. cameras, satellite dish cable, audio, lights...etc....

Issues i am having (these are random issues, they dont happen everyday. i would say happens every other day but when it happens it lasts for a hour). My dealer says since everythign on IP is working beside the sony tv's that he believes there is a random issue happenign with sony tv's. again this is my last ditch effort to get ideas before having to go to IR.

Random list of issues:

1) If we use the smart apps on the TV (using control4) and turn the tv off. then turn the tv back on the next day or a different time in cable mode the music/sound will come out of my surround sound in cable mode but the TV is stuck in TV mode. It stays this way for 30 minutes - 2 hours and then randomly will start working if we mess with it enough.

-- We are buying a Apple TV. My dealer is going to install it free of charge he says he can disable the TV option in control4 and only use apple TV so we dont run into the smart TV issue again.

-- this doesnt happen in all rooms at the same tv. for example it could happen in the living room, but the master bedroom works fine at that exact time. then the next time it could happen in the master bedroom and the living room would work fine.

2) The TV sometimes will not turn on when we command it to turn on. the only random way to fix this is to unplug it from the wall and replug it in. The issue with doing this is some of my TV's are very tight on the wall and its hard to get to the power cord so it can be a pain.

3) again like number 1 above - what is displaying on the tv (cable or smart tv mode) the audio will be the opposite. it is really frustrating. If its in smart TV mode it can be really difficult to get it out of that mode. sometimes the TV doesnt respond at all.

4) sometimes the TV will not turn on, but the sound will come on through the surround sound. so if i click cable tv living room. living room speakers come on but tv stays off.

My dealer believes somethign must be going on with Sony. is there a simple fix for these issues? i really dont want to have to go to IR but these issues are so frustrating as if it happens right when the ball game seems to be come on or happens everytime my wife uses the TV and she gets frustrated.

I know IP control on Sony TVs has been an issue lately. I support another dealer and his client has similar issues with 1 out of 5 Sony TVs installed. I always suggest using a Fire TV/ Roku/ Apple TV for media streaming services they will always work better than the built in apps on a TV. If you want IP control go Fire TV or Roku, Apple TVs also will drop IP control if a few things are done or Drivers are not kept up to date. For TVs I push LG because the IP control is rock solid. I use to suggest Samsung as well but I have been having issues with HDCP and newer HDBaseT units. 

I would switch the TVs to IR and ask the dealer to put the Apple TV on IR using Jesse Smiths IR driver. It is significantly better than Control4s IR driver.

If you want to keep IP control suggest changing the Network API between Web and Simple. I don't have enough experience with them but I know that is a common suggestion. Also make sure the TVs have a static IP with a DHCP reservation.

Do all TVs have hardwired network?

Your dealer is correct.

Sony bonked the IP control after years of solid control.
Some have switched to wireless, and seems to be stable, apparently it's a network card problem from Sony, or a Wake on Lan with wired.
There have also been reports of TVs screwing up the network itself, but I haven't seen that myself.
Setting the TV to Simple and Driver to Web, helps. But can still flub.

IR or Serial and use another box for streaming so the TVs dumb.
This stuff happens, when engineering is so clueless as to our portion of the industry. Or some cost cutter, or a part changes. Hopefully 2022 series will be better.

11 hours ago, luckyc1423 said:

Thank you for the feedback.

frustrating as i boight Like 8 new Sony TV’s last June thinking Sony had the best integration. That was a 8k mistake 🤮

Sony TVs are the best option for integration.

11 hours ago, RAV said:

Your dealer is correct.

Sony bonked the IP control after years of solid control.
Some have switched to wireless, and seems to be stable, apparently it's a network card problem from Sony, or a Wake on Lan with wired.
There have also been reports of TVs screwing up the network itself, but I haven't seen that myself.
Setting the TV to Simple and Driver to Web, helps. But can still flub.

IR or Serial and use another box for streaming so the TVs dumb.
This stuff happens, when engineering is so clueless as to our portion of the industry. Or some cost cutter, or a part changes. Hopefully 2022 series will be better.

All of my supplied TVs are Sony and hardwire/IP controlled, regardless of Control4 or Savant and work reliably on simple and managed networks. 

I had issues keeping a Sony TV on static IP. I set the TV to static, set the router to static and still was jumping IPs. Seems the "static IP" setting for the TV is under ethernet not sure wifi will do true static IP on TV side. That being said 6/8 are flawless still but the other 2 are problem children. Luckily they are in guest rooms so not used that often. 

I had similar issue with some new Sony TVs.  What seemed to work is to turn on Simple IP control in TV settings, but ALSO leave on the regular control option and don't mess with Control4 settings.  Seems to prevent TV from going into deep sleep and going offline with Control4 (at least that's my best guess).

Everything still seems to work (including Mini Apps on TV).   I no longer get the "refuses to turn on" problem.

I've also been having issues lately with my larger Sony losing connection... I've kept on Simple IP which seems to allow for more commands (like screen off for example) but if I switch to WEB then back to SIMPLE IP it seems to come back online....

Might need to switch to IR at this point.... the IP control when it is working is also sluggish at best

On 2/1/2022 at 10:15 PM, luckyc1423 said:

Background on my equipment: 

1) using Xantech XT-CAT-ARC-KIT Audio over CAT cable with Built-In DAC

2) distributed video - Zuum H10X10 HDMI 10x10 4Kx2K Matrix Switcher with Full 3D Support

3) Control4 C4-EA5

4) All TV's - Sony XBR65X800H in all rooms (just different sizes) bought in early 2021

I bought all new TV's, sony TV's to make sure we could use IP as i didnt want to be forced to use IR.

We are having issues, random issues, and my dealer that i use is wanting to switch over to IR to remove the issues. He said he was having issues with IP and now all his clients are on IR. He is amazing and very responsitive (talks to me anytime of night when i have questions - very good). 

This is my last ditch effort in hopes that someone else knows what is going on with the sony tv's. as my IP works well for everything else. cameras, satellite dish cable, audio, lights...etc....

Issues i am having (these are random issues, they dont happen everyday. i would say happens every other day but when it happens it lasts for a hour). My dealer says since everythign on IP is working beside the sony tv's that he believes there is a random issue happenign with sony tv's. again this is my last ditch effort to get ideas before having to go to IR.

Random list of issues:

1) If we use the smart apps on the TV (using control4) and turn the tv off. then turn the tv back on the next day or a different time in cable mode the music/sound will come out of my surround sound in cable mode but the TV is stuck in TV mode. It stays this way for 30 minutes - 2 hours and then randomly will start working if we mess with it enough.

-- We are buying a Apple TV. My dealer is going to install it free of charge he says he can disable the TV option in control4 and only use apple TV so we dont run into the smart TV issue again.

-- this doesnt happen in all rooms at the same tv. for example it could happen in the living room, but the master bedroom works fine at that exact time. then the next time it could happen in the master bedroom and the living room would work fine.

2) The TV sometimes will not turn on when we command it to turn on. the only random way to fix this is to unplug it from the wall and replug it in. The issue with doing this is some of my TV's are very tight on the wall and its hard to get to the power cord so it can be a pain.

3) again like number 1 above - what is displaying on the tv (cable or smart tv mode) the audio will be the opposite. it is really frustrating. If its in smart TV mode it can be really difficult to get it out of that mode. sometimes the TV doesnt respond at all.

4) sometimes the TV will not turn on, but the sound will come on through the surround sound. so if i click cable tv living room. living room speakers come on but tv stays off.

My dealer believes somethign must be going on with Sony. is there a simple fix for these issues? i really dont want to have to go to IR but these issues are so frustrating as if it happens right when the ball game seems to be come on or happens everytime my wife uses the TV and she gets frustrated.

I have had the exact same issues - almost everyone you have. I have 5 Sony TV's (new as of September) and 1 Samsung. 2 of the Sony TVs have this issue. Sometimes they wont turn on via C4, other times they turn on, but stay on the main screen despite pushing Netflix or something to that affect. I have to go find the TV remote in the AV room and do it manually. In this case, the TV is the source and it is using the native apps within. Switching to WI-FI might help in the moment, but it comes to a crashing halt as well and sometimes would say not connected and could not find any wi-fi signals. I had come to the conclusion it was a network issue with Sony. Dealer said there is a network issue with Sony and it is intermittent and is TV dependent. As absurd as that sounds, it is true based on my experience in my house. TVs which are toggled using a AVR and Apple TV seem to be fine with no issues. The ones that use the applications within the TV are hit and miss. 

We also switched to IR as well so it was doing both IR and IP control - same issues prevail. At the point of considering replacing the TVs now but have not had the issue for a few weeks now so cautiously optimistic. 

21 hours ago, Charlie Mackenzie said:

We also switched to IR as well so it was doing both IR and IP control - same issues prevail. At the point of considering replacing the TVs now but have not had the issue for a few weeks now so cautiously optimistic. 

Ugh.  I'm in the same boat.  Three new Sonys as of October.  Turned on Simple IP control and that seemed to help.  But still not 100% reliable.  I need to pull trigger on another dozen or so TVs real soon now and would like to stick with Sony, but not if these gremlins will persist.  One of the tie-breakers for me for Sony v. Samsung is that (as I understand it), the Videostorm/NetPlay endpoint for IP distribution can be a native app on the Sony ($70 license fee), which will save a few bucks and keep things cleaner.  (Sony also works better for the tiles / overlay solution, apparently).

It would make me feel a lot better if we had confirmation that Sony is aware of the issue and is committed to a fix.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.