C4 Forums | Control4

How hard is it to swap out routers?

pinkoos

12 hours ago, pinkoos said:

So got a notification that service was restored, but still abysmally low upload speeds - I don't notice any difference between earlier and now

I have a tech coming out tomorrow, so let's see what happens

did you go back so the only connection is modem and laptop to check speed? don't focus on anything till this is working

Tech couldn’t do much as Comcast said the outage was ongoing and also he said that his meter was broken (and had been broken for a month, WTH)

Anyway got a notification in the late afternoon that the issue was resolved and indeed it does seem to be the case, back to 600s down and 20s up

So back to monitoring for my original issue…

So now that the Comcast issues seem to have been resolved and have been relatively stable for the past couple of days, I'm happy to report that I can go back to dealing with the underlying problem...LOL

Network went down yesterday afternoon and again early this morning

As is the case 90 to 95% of the time, a modem reboot brought the connection back up

The only DHCP reservations we left in the Araknis router when dealing with the total meltdown that 60 to 70 reservations caused earlier in the week are my Mac mini (because it's running 24/7 Plex and SecuritySpy servers) and my two old touchscreens (since I'd been having issues with both, particularly the one in the kitchen that needs to be constantly reconnected to the Director)

One theory I had yesterday that doesn't seem to hold water anymore now that the network went down again this morning was that maybe my son's PC has something to do with the issue - he had been out of town since Thursday for a tennis tournament, so his PC had been asleep since then. Yesterday afternoon, I woke it up to actually use ComposerHE and within 5 to 7 mins, the network went down

So of course I put 2 and 2 together and thought hmmmm, maybe there's some conflict or something that occurs when his PC is awake that occasionally brings the network down

However, when he's home, his PC is on and being used a lot and most of the time the network is fine

Also, the network went down this AM when the PC is hopefully asleep, so not sure if there's anything to my hunch

On 2/4/2022 at 4:53 PM, Andrew luecke said:

I think you're potentially taking the wrong approach here. 

1. Network visibility is everything. Ensure every device is connected to the switch directly (do not daisy chain devices off other switches unless they are managed), and turn on STP, and DHCP Guarding (I can't remember if Araknis supports this). Turn off wireless on the router.  STP prevents loops, DHCP guards protect against any devices which may be acting as Rogue DHCP servers.  

2. Watch if there is a correlation between when the problems happen.. If the problems happen mainly on hot days or wet days, it's likely ISP. No, they probably won't find anything lol 

3. You need to determine if the connection is dropping out at the router, or past the router. You can do a ping routerIP, and ping 8.8.8.8 (Google). If the router IP drops, router is busted.. if Google drops, it's internet.   

4. You MAY have a IP Conflict as others have said. If you use ARP and the MAC address flips back and forth for an IP, it's definitely a conflict. Use DHCP reservations

Honestly, if only some devices lose access to Internet, this sounds like a rogue DHCP server messing things up..

See attached screenshots 

Can any conclusions be drawn from this info?

40394AA5-3433-42A7-BC7F-2CBAB9993633.jpeg

757CD967-E3A7-4715-85FB-76F71E2864B1.jpeg

9 hours ago, pinkoos said:

So this is showing that pinging the router directly shows it’s unreachable but pinging google still works so I’m confused as to what this is telling me

my bad, I read it so fast I thought the 8888 was unreachable.

you probably have a duplicate address or routing problem. Heck, you could have a FW rule to block on the router.

I'd start simple and see if you can find the problem.  If you have just the router and only a laptop(un plug all other connections) can you get it to work?

• 1 month later...

May have finally figured out the culprit, fingers crossed - Google Nest Hub

After disconnecting my touchscreens over a week ago and the network still going out, my next step was to unplug our 2 Nest Hubs, we have a regular and a Max

After doing that I also searched online and it seems they had an issue back in 2018 where the chromecast feature was overloading routers when the device would wake from sleep, I don’t remember all the technical terms

Anyway, Google said they fixed the issue and in the meantime I think router manufacturers started pushing out firmware updates to prevent the issue

This was 4 years ago so I would think that my devices would have already been fixed by Google and/or Araknis would have addressed this as well

Regardless, though, all I know is that it’s been one week exactly since I unplugged the Nests and the network has been rock solid - hope I didn’t just jinx it

My dealer is supposed to get in touch with the Araknis folks to see if they can shed any light on this too

Just thought I’d share the (hopefully) good news, after almost 2 years (or possibly even longer…I can’t remember exactly when all this started) of dealing with this

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.