C4 Forums | Control4

Let's talk networking!

mujtaba.khokhar

Hey Guys! 

Hope you're all keeping well. 

I thought it might be a good idea to have a post dedicated to networking brands, maybe some pros and cons; or just pictures of some sweet installs and a brief description on why you went for that brand etc. 

I'll make a start. 

Brand of choice: Araknis 

Why?: I used to be a mikrotik man through and through, (Still have some very large systems with all Mikrotik gear in) but as the business got bigger it was time to focus on one brand and stick to that brand, it had to be easy to manage for most techs and not be too intimidating & something that is "supported" by control4 /SnapOne. Overall, for my business & clients it's a very solid router, we have over 100 of them out in the wild!

Pros: 

- Easy to set up

- OVRC is a win (it's on all EA controllers now too)

- Works very well 

- OpenVPN being built in is a great bonus 

Cons:

- No real firewall to setup and configure

- Web GUI at times can be a little buggy 

Feature Request:

- have the option to run a VPN on the router to connect to surf shark or any other VPN provider and the ability to route certain IPs to the VPN WAN IP. (Miss this feature from Miktroik)

Some Sweet Pictures: 

(Attached)

Thanks 

Muj

P.S We've just launched a new website, would love for you guys to check it out!

https://mkiconic.solutions/

IMG_3293.jpeg

araknis.jpg

IMG_2467.jpeg

I'd like to expand upon OVRC its avalaible on quite a bit of Control4 and snaps products. It can be a great tool to make sure that the network is reliable and able to self heal. This also goes for other devices on the home network if something is not responding correctly it can be also be monitored and reset to attempt to fix it automatically.

19 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

I'd like to expand upon OVRC its avalaible on quite a bit of Control4 and snaps products. It can be a great tool to make sure that the network is reliable and able to self heal. This also goes for other devices on the home network if something is not responding correctly it can be also be monitored and reset to attempt to fix it automatically.

OVRC is really cool, we’ve recently moved over from Domotz. Making the change to go all Araknis has really facilitated this too. 

Domotz is cool and has many features don’t get me wrong, but it’s always getting more and more costly and honestly it’s come to a point to think is it even worth it. 

Many of the features we used from Domotz is now available in OVRC. 

if anyone would like screenshots of ovrc or see how control4 / snapOne or partnered devices show up, let me know I’d be happy to share some screenshots. 

Thanks 

Muj 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.