C4 Forums | Control4

Advanced Lighting, can you actually not have 2 scenes with the same name?

416to305

Question

Hoping I'm missing something as I'm really struggling with this.  On our Lutron RA2 system we have in all bedrooms and most common areas, scenes like "Evening", "Nighttime", "Lights Off", etc.  So, master bedroom has a "Evening", "Nighttime", "Lights Off" scene for that room, but then Guest Bedroom 1 also has "Evening", "Nighttime", "Lights Off" for that room, and so on.

When I try to do the same in Advanced Lighting in Composer, it says the scene name is already in use.  I now have "Lights Off", "Room Off", "All Off", etc just trying different variations and am hoping I'm just doing something wrong, or can you actually not have the same name?  I don't want to prefix the scenes with the room name as then they get cut off on the navigators.  I tried messing with picking the room for each scene but it still says I can't use the same name twice.  

3 answers to this question

You'll need to devise a way to augment the room name or other identifier, sometimes all you need is a letter or two, MB Evening. This also helps group them well.
Unigue is very important when getting into voice control.

On 3/28/2022 at 8:26 AM, RAV said:

You'll need to devise a way to augment the room name or other identifier, sometimes all you need is a letter or two, MB Evening. This also helps group them well.
Unigue is very important when getting into voice control.

This is true. I usually like to name mine the name of the room so when using voice control it's more natural way of speaking.  "Master bedroom, lights off" is easier to remember and more natural to say than "MB, lights off". The speech recognition may also struggle more often to try and understand what you are saying if you use abbreviations as well. "MB" might sound like an English word you're trying to say and not as readily recognize that you're trying to just say some letters. If that makes sense.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.