C4 Forums | Control4

How can i learn Control 4??

You're really going to have to get a Control4 dealer that is willing to hire you and then get you trained up, or start your own shop (which may have it's own challenges).  In the meantime learn as much about networking and AV as you can, that would be enough to get you hired by most C4 dealers. 

I would recommend that you first learn the basics of control4, and then go into detail about the system.
To be able to do certifications and installations you should be in a company authorized by Control4 to sell, install and program their products. There are many courses, theoretical, practical and certifications.

Maybe if you need any help, you can ask in this forum, where it is good to help people who are enthusiastic about this technology.

On 5/3/2022 at 1:03 PM, MikeFlores said:

I want to take a job but i need learn control 4, the problem is idk where can i study or practice this...

Find a dealer and offer to work for free why you learn the basics, and that start getting pay commensurate with the value provided as you get up to speed. 

4 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

Find a dealer and offer to work for free why you learn the basics, and that start getting pay commensurate with the value provided as you get up to speed. 

LMAO don't ever offer to work for free. That being said, you have to be a dealer to send people to training so your only pathway is to get hired first and train second. 

You ever think this guy is phishing for free software? this is how it's done.

the original poster created the account for the post, asked what seems like a harmless question in hopes of someone sending the software....

there doesn't seem to be any response to the suggestions.

could be wrong....but it does look fishy..

1 hour ago, ekohn00 said:

You ever think this guy is phishing for free software? this is how it's done.

the original poster created the account for the post, asked what seems like a harmless question in hopes of someone sending the software....

there doesn't seem to be any response to the suggestions.

could be wrong....but it does look fishy..

Why going through all this hassle while he can basically Google everything?

I suggest to OP to Google YouTube Videos and find the old composer PDF that is somewhere and start reading from there 🙄🙄

14 hours ago, Amr said:

Plus C4 publishes all proxy code for driver dev and their extensive documentation on github...

17 hours ago, Amr said:

What hassle? Create a free account and put a post up, see if someone bites. Most basic phishing technique out there.

Certainly not saying that is the case, but it's not an unfair point.

Just now, Cyknight said:

What hassle? Create a free account and put a post up, see if someone bites. Most basic phishing technique out there.

Certainly not saying that is the case, but it's not an unfair point.

Too much conspiracy, no he doesn’t have to be here asking for Free License he can get it some where else, I still believe he could be here to learn, that’s it, we both speculating as we really don’t have an insight on his motives, so both opinions holds 😀

On 5/9/2022 at 3:40 PM, CTMatthew said:

LMAO don't ever offer to work for free. That being said, you have to be a dealer to send people to training so your only pathway is to get hired first and train second. 

I 100% disagree.

I worked for free back in 2008 just to learn.  I worked nights in law enforcement, and worked during the day with a couple of C4 dealers at the time.  This turned into a full time job, which turned into another full time job, which turned into running a company, which led to software emphasis, which led to Engineering, which led to me making nearly triple what I did starting off in this business.  This also allowed me to give back to the C4 community that I came from.

Just because you trade your time for experience, doesn't make you a chump.  There are always multiple pathways to a destination, and not everyone is so one-dimensional.  Granted, I didn't ultimately end up in AV or Custom Integration, but looking back, I'd do it all over again, best decision I ever made.

TLDR:  You make your own path.

On 5/13/2022 at 12:51 PM, neil12011 said:

I 100% disagree.

I worked for free back in 2008 just to learn.  I worked nights in law enforcement, and worked during the day with a couple of C4 dealers at the time.  This turned into a full time job, which turned into another full time job, which turned into running a company, which led to software emphasis, which led to Engineering, which led to me making nearly triple what I did starting off in this business.  This also allowed me to give back to the C4 community that I came from.

Just because you trade your time for experience, doesn't make you a chump.  There are always multiple pathways to a destination, and not everyone is so one-dimensional.  Granted, I didn't ultimately end up in AV or Custom Integration, but looking back, I'd do it all over again, best decision I ever made.

BINGO

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 2:51 PM, neil12011 said:

I 100% disagree.

Don't work for free. And I'll add to that: don't employ someone without paying them. 

48 minutes ago, CTMatthew said:

Don't work for free. And I'll add to that: don't employ someone without paying them. 

Or do if you think it will get you where you want to go.

Believe it or not, not everyone has the same set of circumstances, and what works for one person may or may not work for someone else.

RyanE

25 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Or do if you think it will get you where you want to go.

Believe it or not, not everyone has the same set of circumstances, and what works for one person may or may not work for someone else.

RyanE

This is a good candidate to move off a tech forum and on to one of economics - but establishing any tradition of unpaid work is ultimately corrosive to a thriving economy. If it were one person here or there it would be an anomaly - but unpaid internships and rock-bottom starting wages have become huge barriers to the vast majority of people that can't afford to work for free or almost for free. 

The next time you go into a store and it's understaffed, disorganized, poorly stocked, etc. you're looking at the direct results of that company undervaluing labor. 

It's a terrible practice and shouldn't be perpetuated on the employee or the employer side. 

17 minutes ago, CTMatthew said:

I guess if you're so thoroughly convinced that your time is worthless then by all means...

I have worked with people whose time should have been valued at 0.

Kidding aside, if that's the way someone gets their foot in the door, and they have little to no experience, it may be worth it for them (and I personally kind of lump "minimum wage" in with getting paid 0).

It clearly wouldn't be worth it for me, or for you.

RyanE

48 minutes ago, CTMatthew said:

This is a good candidate to move off a tech forum and on to one of economics - but establishing any tradition of unpaid work is ultimately corrosive to a thriving economy. If it were one person here or there it would be an anomaly - but unpaid internships and rock-bottom starting wages have become huge barriers to the vast majority of people that can't afford to work for free or almost for free. 

The next time you go into a store and it's understaffed, disorganized, poorly stocked, etc. you're looking at the direct results of that company undervaluing labor. 

It's a terrible practice and shouldn't be perpetuated on the employee or the employer side. 

To be clear, I see both sides here. People should value their time but if someone wants something bad even they will do it for free thinking it will pay off later then go for it.

Think about college; we actually PAID money to get something we hoped would pay off later.

6 minutes ago, therockhr said:

To be clear, I see both sides here. People should value their time but if someone wants something bad even they will do it for free thinking it will pay off later then go for it.

Think about college; we actually PAID money to get something we hoped would pay off later.

This topic has to be thought of less as an individual's decision to "work for free" and more as one where society is organized to pay the least for the most and how best to navigate a larger system as an individual. 

The thought experiment of the plucky go-getter that works for pennies and proves his worth doesn't really map onto the incentive structures at play - meaning that individual outcomes can still vary, but the statistics are oriented so intensely against these sorts of serendipitous outcomes that you'd be better off playing the lottery. 

As an individual, your best outcome - statistically speaking - is to always demand the most pay possible at every juncture. 

7 hours ago, CTMatthew said:

I'd do it again.  Countless doors opened from that one decision.  I actually got the idea from watching a documentary on Sean "Puff Daddy" Combs.  He took the subway a few hours each way, every day, and worked at Def Jam records under Russel Simmons, for free.  I'm not a Puff fan by any stretch, but it was inspiring.  The US was in the midst of the housing collapse of '08 also.  A good number of A/V and Automation firms were going under.    

I was in my early 20's, and felt like the gamble would pay off.

It did, handsomely.  It was ultimately the right decision for me.  

Just like sneaking Pinot Grigio into Bon Iver shows is the right decision for you.

13 hours ago, neil12011 said:

I'd do it again.  Countless doors opened from that one decision.  I actually got the idea from watching a documentary on Sean "Puff Daddy" Combs.  He took the subway a few hours each way, every day, and worked at Def Jam records under Russel Simmons, for free.  I'm not a Puff fan by any stretch, but it was inspiring.  The US was in the midst of the housing collapse of '08 also.  A good number of A/V and Automation firms were going under.    

I was in my early 20's, and felt like the gamble would pay off.

It did, handsomely.  It was ultimately the right decision for me.  

Just like sneaking Pinot Grigio into Bon Iver shows is the right decision for you.

Just think of wear you'd be if you'd have been paid! 

On 6/8/2022 at 1:15 PM, CTMatthew said:

This is a good candidate to move off a tech forum and on to one of economics - but establishing any tradition of unpaid work is ultimately corrosive to a thriving economy.

And if you went to the economics forum, you’d find that none other than Milton Friedman would disagree with you.  Friedman frequently cited the unintended consequences of efforts to help others and gave as an example minimum wage laws.  He believed the minimum wage laws hurt low-skilled workers (the very people they were intended to help) because it takes away the low-skilled worker’s biggest competitive advantage - the willingness to work for lower wages.

I think a zero skilled worker that wants to get paid with knowledge/experience seems more like a barter transaction.  So a little unusual; both parties need to understand what they are getting into. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have much experience as a landlord, so I'm going to let my tenants live in my apartment building for free until I feel like I can really offer them value. 

I think I have a great hamburger recipe, but I haven't run a food truck before. I'll just give my product away until I build a following and then start to charge a price that covers my cost an pays me an income. 

Oh wait, that sounds insane. 

Don't work for free. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.