C4 Forums | Control4

To gigabit, or not to gigabit? That is the question!

ILoveC4

Okay, so I got into the Dell switch management interface and was able to assign it a new IP address, and get the network back to where it was...that's good.

I gave the switch an IP address of 192.168.1.254, and a default gateway of 192.168.1.1.

Now, the connection between the EVA9150 and the other gear still sucks. All ports duplex mode is "full". Backpressure is disabled, and flow control is disabled. I am going through and setting all ports flow control to enabled, let's see if that makes a difference.

I have no idea what I am doing here, just hoping this works.

Thanks everyone for your help thus far.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay...cool. Enabling flow control on all the ports I am using bumped the speed back up to 62-63 MB/s like it was before and movies stream flawlessly again.

Now, since everything is working I am going to quit messing with it unless someone wants to make some suggestions as to changes in the configuration that I should make.

Thanks for your help on this everyone, I really appreciate it.

Okay...cool. Enabling flow control on all the ports I am using bumped the speed back up to 62-63 MB/s like it was before and movies stream flawlessly again.

Now, since everything is working I am going to quit messing with it unless someone wants to make some suggestions as to changes in the configuration that I should make.

Thanks for your help on this everyone, I really appreciate it.

OK, confused again over your numbers. Now you are using MB/s. Do you actually mean mega-bytes or mega-bits?

Now' date=' since everything is working I am going to quit messing with it unless someone wants to make some suggestions as to changes in the configuration that I should make.

Thanks for your help on this everyone, I really appreciate it.[/quote']

OK, confused again over your numbers. Now you are using MB/s. Do you actually mean mega-bytes or mega-bits?

I am just going off what shows up on the Netgear GUI when I run a network test. If you want I can take a picture of it when I get home and post it so I make sure I am not typing it wrong.

All I know is when the netgear numbers are above 50 (they are in the low 60's usually) the movies stream fine. When they are in the 30's (like they were before I enabled "Flow Control") the movie buffers and doesn't play well.

To be honest I have no idea if it si mega-bytes or mega-bits...like I said if you're worried about it I can double check what the GUI says.

Naw, no worries- I don't know myself what is required for a typical HD stream. I guess anything down to 20Mb/s might be OK???

Numbers in the 30's are insufficient, but the 40's - 60's are great. I don't know of anyway to figure out the breaking point, but that is what I have experienced.

It will probably be reflective upon the file's bitrate. Bluray can go as high as 45mbit/s, I believe. Star Trek was 41mbit/s, the ceiling for the Netgear 9100 is 40mbit/s (why the un-altered m2ts stuttered, most likely). HD Broadcast (over the air, not satellite, cable, or other) is can be up to 15mbits, and DVD is about 5mbits.

It will probably be reflective upon the file's bitrate. Bluray can go as high as 45mbit/s, I believe. Star Trek was 41mbit/s, the ceiling for the Netgear 9100 is 40mbit/s (why the un-altered m2ts stuttered, most likely). HD Broadcast (over the air, not satellite, cable, or other) is can be up to 15mbits, and DVD is about 5mbits.

Nice to know. Thanks

Robert

So you're pointing out another benefit of the 9150 over the 9100 here, right?

It will probably be reflective upon the file's bitrate. Bluray can go as high as 45mbit/s' date=' I believe. Star Trek was 41mbit/s, the ceiling for the Netgear 9100 is 40mbit/s (why the un-altered m2ts stuttered, most likely). HD Broadcast (over the air, not satellite, cable, or other) is can be up to 15mbits, and DVD is about 5mbits.[/quote']

So you're pointing out another benefit of the 9150 over the 9100 here, right?

The bitrate ceiling for both the 9100 and the 9150 is the same because they share the same base firmware.

• 8 months later...

diamond, I'm assuming that you are reffering to Netgear switches.

Is there anything I should watch out for. I'd appreciate further info.

My switch is a 24-port POE Netgear FS728TP

http://ca.netgear.com/Products/Switches … 728TP.aspx

Would that be on the switch list.

I also have another switch that I'm not using. Linksys Gigabit 16-Port Switch

http://www.linksysworks.com/SRW2016.asp

Thanks

Well as far as I know. I even love the fact that they are all POE. I do have a new install with a few issues.

Some outlets or remotes won't identify.

A couple that is identified won't respond to programming

Some remotes are faster or slower than others

They probably have nothing to do with the swtch!!! Just troubleshooting by elimination.

We recently became a Netgear partner and I actually spoke to the Control4 account manager there and she informed me that it was just that 1 model and that they are very aware of it and working on it. She also said that the same model may work without issues, it was 2 units that had problems when being tested by Control4.

So far, however, only that 1 switch has been mentioned by Control4 as not recommended at this time.

It seems that when people have problems with switches it is due to running a lot of power from the POE ports. We use the non-POE versions with midspans from LanPower.

I have an FSFS728TP not the "FS726TP"

Out of the 24-ports. I'm using the POE for the 5 cameras and the 10 button keypad. None of them are currently installed. Once I've got my POE's installed . I'll post here and let you guys know.

• 1 month later...

Archived