C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa Voice Control Issues

4 hours ago, brucecampbell said:

Anyone else experiencing Alexa doing as she is asked, followed by "I am having trouble reaching null"?

This happens all the time now when I ask her to turn on Netflix or other items from my watch list.

I, and many others, have been reporting this for many months now. Quite annoying.

C4 Thread

Amazon Alexa Forum Thread 1

Amazon Alexa Forum Thread 2

I have reported it to Control4 Tech Support via dealer channels, and the person I chatted with acknowledged the problem. But that was months ago, with no action or follow-up. This happens with other SmartHome, non-Control4 Devices as well (ou can google the exact phrase "I'm having trouble reaching null" and see reports with other devices), so the ball may be in Amazon's court more than Control4's, but nobody is stepping up.

On the Amazon thread, I did get Ellen, from the Amazon team, to contact their internal support team about this. According to her they responded, updated the App, and unilaterally declared the problem "resolved." Well, I have updated the App, cleared its Cache, unlinked/relinked Control4 to it, rediscovered devices, and the problem is most definitely not resolved. I reported that back to her, and there has been radio silence for going on a week now.

This happens with all room-level, AV commands, 100% of the time, while other Alexa commands (turning on lights for example) work fine.

The original problem ("x device is not responding) started shortly after the major AWS Eastern outage and fix, so the timing suggests that this is related. And around a month or two after that, it changed to "I'm having trouble reaching null" and has remained that way for a few months.

I'm really getting quite tired of this. Nobody is stepping up to acknowledge or fix the problem.

Thanks for the info Don,

I'll keep an eye out on the forums for any progress you or anyone has to report.

I try to avoid at all costs now the process of disconnecting the skill and going through the discovery again...
I'm not sure if it is fully resolved yet, but when I first bought my echo dots, they were not supported in New Zealand, so my Amazon account had to be linked to my USA postal address.
When I changed the location of the dots so I could get weather and other local skills, I could no longer add the C4 skill.

The hours lost figuring out what was going on was too frustrating to try again...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.