C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa commands have stopped working with C4

DRP

Alexa driver v113 has been officially released, anyone with Composer Pro access can go update the driver now. Everyone else your systems should automatically update to this version in the next 24-48 hours. 

It should resolve the following issues:

• discovery not working on OS 2.9.1 systems
  • av source discovery not working for sources distributed through a matrix switch
  • DVD proxy source discovery not working

Looks good and I have all the devices back! 
The only difference I am currently seeing is that the HDMI Matrix devices are ALL located in the room with the Matrix rather than the rooms the TV’s are in. 

That should not affect functionality though.. just cosmetic on the customer.control4.com site? The voice commands are the same as before from Alexa's perspective i think.

image.png.ab91b1084858f354212bf10023a7a716.png

I will be home in about 30 and can test that the commands are actually executing but all signs looking at things remotely look good! 

The rooms must matter on the C4 side it seems... Alexa takes the commands for the Matrix devices but C4 does not turn on the TV's (Rooms).

You can see in the History that it did get a voice command and it did "turn on" the end device you requested but as it was not in the room attached to the video output it does not cause that rooms video output device to turn on. Hope that makes sense. :)

The #2 below was me issuing the "Turn on TV 4 Chromecast"

The #1 below was me issuing the "Turn on TV 2 Chromecast"

image.png.afd72484cf3f563e4e6a723d3c1db5c2.png

As you can see it "turned on" the Chromecast both times but as the room its in (Game Room) does not have the Video Endpoint "TV 4" in it... it isn't triggering the room to turn on and change the video source.

That is my guess as to what's still not working in regards to the HDMI Matrix anyway... hope it helps!

8 hours ago, DIEHARD said:

The rooms must matter on the C4 side it seems... Alexa takes the commands for the Matrix devices but C4 does not turn on the TV's (Rooms).

You can see in the History that it did get a voice command and it did "turn on" the end device you requested but as it was not in the room attached to the video output it does not cause that rooms video output device to turn on. Hope that makes sense. :)

As you can see it "turned on" the Chromecast both times but as the room its in (Game Room) does not have the Video Endpoint "TV 4" in it... it isn't triggering the room to turn on and change the video source.

That is my guess as to what's still not working in regards to the HDMI Matrix anyway... hope it helps!

@DIEHARD Thanks for the detailed write up.  I've passed this along both your posts to the Alexa driver team to investigate the HDMI Matrix further.  I'll let you know when I hear back from them.

8 hours ago, Don Cohen said:

Really appreciate this, @Darin, C4 PM UI. I updated the Driver, rediscovered devices, and I now have voice control over my Bluray players once again.

It's really great having you guys on the forum and available and receptive to fixing problems when they arise!

@Don Cohen Happy to help where I can.

20 hours ago, DIEHARD said:

@DIEHARD The Alexa driver team let me know they verified the issue you reported and are working on a fix for it.  Thanks again for the detailed write up.

I still seem to be having an issue with my C4 synching with Alexa.  I'm running the latest OS (3.3) and it appears that the Voice driver auto-updated to 113.  However, on the C4 portal (https://customer.control4.com/voice) I do not see the recently-added "Lights" (some Lutron dimmers/switches) and I do not see the new Voice Scenes I created.  

I assume those need to/should appear in the portal if Alexa is to "discover" them.  Is that correct?

Is there anything I (or my C4 Guru) can/should do to trigger the synching/updating?  FWIW:  my previously existing Voice Scenes and Lights are still there and still work perfectly by voice command on Alexa.  It's the new stuff that's not showing up or working. 

Try disabling a device on customer.control4.com and hitting save. That will cause it to pull the list of devices from your controller again.

Once you see the devices on customer.control4.com and you have them enabled.. at that point making Alexa discover them should make them show up there too.

Also make sure to delete old Alexa c4 devices if ever in question as they do not remove themselves and will stick around in Alexa even if they don't exist in c4 anymore.. so you do have to be careful renaming devices too.

3 hours ago, DIEHARD said:

Try disabling a device on customer.control4.com and hitting save. That will cause it to pull the list of devices from your controller again.

Once you see the devices on customer.control4.com and you have them enabled.. at that point making Alexa discover them should make them show up there too.

Also make sure to delete old Alexa c4 devices if ever in question as they do not remove themselves and will stick around in Alexa even if they don't exist in c4 anymore.. so you do have to be careful renaming devices too.

Hmm.  OK, so I disabled one of the lights (and then also one of the Voice Scenes) and hit "save" and while it seemed to be saving, it does not seem to have actually saved.  I ended up without anything showing up under voice control -- no Scenes, Lights, Devices. When I then hit "refresh" the list came back but the light and scene that I supposedly just disabled showed enabled.  

I know (or, at least believe) the controller is connected to the portal because in the Compose HE software I get a "Connected
Controller connected to customer.control4.com" messages.  But for some reason the Voice Driver isn't sending or receiving information.  I'm including a snip of the driver page.  Is there something more I need to do?

BTW:  I have rebooted my EA5 and I've unlinked and re-linked the C4 skill in Alexa.  Still no joy.

Composer Sni.JPG

Anybody have any ideas?  The lights, devices and voice scenes I’d previously created all still work perfectly.  But, as I wrote, newly added lights, devices, and voice scenes do not show up in the portal and are not picked up by Alexa if I scan.  (Note:  my new Lutron lights and Lutron scene are picked up by Alexa through the Lutron skill but not  Control4.) Nor can I remove, enable or disable existing lights, devices, or voice scenes on the portal.  When I make such a change and attempt to save, it does not stick.  

Because the existing lights, devices and scenes work, I have to think that the link between Alexa and the controller is working.  So, it seems as though its something about the connection between the controller and portal.  That doesn’t make a lot of sense because the portal “checks in” with and correctly reports the status of the controller (and my 4Sight subscription etc).  It seems like it is only the voice control that’s a problem. 

Success!  Alexa driver v113 seems to have fixed the problem with C4 OS 2.9 that v112 broke.
And so far, it's even better--C4 is no longer requiring the Alexa command to be repeated for each action, as it has for the past year or so!
Many thanks to Darin, the development team, and the C4 community for rallying around this issue.
DRP

How do you eliminate a scene from your voice control on customer control4.com I have eliminated the scene on the Alexa app and also in composer home. But it still shows up on the customer control4.com. I'm trying to redo the scene to get it to work

39 minutes ago, daveva said:

How do you eliminate a scene from your voice control on customer control4.com I have eliminated the scene on the Alexa app and also in composer home. But it still shows up on the customer control4.com. I'm trying to redo the scene to get it to work

If I recall correctly, you may also need to untick it on customer control4.com (probably not), refresh on customer control4.com and then you Discover devices…

2 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

If I recall correctly, you may also need to untick it on customer control4.com (probably not), refresh on customer control4.com and then you Discover devices…

OK thanks you've been a big help. It was untick, save changes, refresh. I always did one or the other but never both. Thanks

This is just driving me crazy no matter what I do I cannot get the scene voice activated. Alexa recognizes the scene when I run discovery. It works when I execute from composer. But when I give Alexa the voice command nothing. 

5 hours ago, time2jet said:

I can't remember if "Alexa, turn off the Kitchen" (and it would do a Room Off command) was automatic or programmed, but it's no longer working for me.

It can be either/both depending on how you have stuff configured in Alexa/C4.

You could have all the C4 switches in a room on Alexa and Alexa will turn them all on and off with the Room on/off commands..  Or you could have an advanced lighting scene in C4 that does the same thing for you and it would appear in Alexa as whatever you called it.

If you have an Alexa room named Kitchen it could also get confused if you had a advanced lighting scene by the same name.. so make sure to keep device/room names from overlapping.

3 minutes ago, daveva said:

This is just driving me crazy no matter what I do I cannot get the scene voice activated. Alexa recognizes the scene when I run discovery. It works when I execute from composer. But when I give Alexa the voice command nothing. 

What does the history log show in composer when you issue the voice command? Anything?

I am assuming Alexa isn't saying she failed in any way..?

10 hours ago, daveva said:

Maybe doing this but if not an alexa routine as well as c4 you have to say "Alexa turn on shades down" or "alexa turn on master evening." etc.

10 hours ago, DIEHARD said:

What does the history log show in composer when you issue the voice command? Anything?

I am assuming Alexa isn't saying she failed in any way..?

Where do you find the history log You are right about Assuming Alexa isn’t saying she failed. I get a ding as if the command was followed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.