C4 Forums | Control4

Upgrade HDMI matrix

29 minutes ago, adam333 said:

Looking to upgrade my Snap AV  Binary 300 hdmi matrix.  its an 8x8 from 8 years ago.

What's a good switch, that wont break the budget?

What is the budget?

There's lots of threads about this this.

But basically, it always is blustream, binary, avpro most of the time. Different countries seem to have different preferences (blustream for instance is incredibly popular in Australia, but only became available in US fairly recently).

At the end of the day, it depends on why you're upgrading, what sources you have and what capabilities you need.

Atlona is great, then comes Chinese stuff from Amazon like Monoprice, J-Tech and Nohassle all with C4 driver and works, can’t judge reliability but this is a very elastic word even some of the best have issues!

I just switched to an AC-AXION-X and it is awesome. Obviously I have a larger install but it simplified my rack a bit. No more baluns in the rack and no more audio extractors since it all happens inside the AC-AXION-X.

8 hours ago, macosr said:

I just switched to an AC-AXION-X and it is awesome. Obviously I have a larger install but it simplified my rack a bit. No more baluns in the rack and no more audio extractors since it all happens inside the AC-AXION-X.

AVPro is the top but it hurts in cost!

At that budget, go with JTECH or one of the other Amazon/direct buy options.  AVPro is the best, but much more expensive as others have mentioned.  Keep in mind that in 2022, the hardware is almost a commodity...what you are paying the extra money for when it comes to AVPro is the software, support, and warranty that comes with the hardware.  AVPro offers the best of all of those.  Good user interface, good drivers for Control4, great US-based support, and a ridiculous 10-year warranty...so you're basically guaranteed to have a good working unit for the next 10 years, vs. the 1 year warranty that comes with most of the other inexpensive brands.

2 hours ago, adam333 said:

under $2000.   More than that, it would make more sense to just put local equipment at the TVs

I have a AVPro AC-MX1616 AUHD-CHASSIS with 8 inputs and 6 outputs (both can be expanded to 16x16). Still under full warranty.  I would be willing to sell it to you for very close to your budget.  I also have 2  AC-EX100-444-R Gen Baluns.

LOL…I was just thinking that one thing you could do is pickup a used AVPro matrix. However, it all depends on your “environment” as to what would work best. I took out an 8x8 AVPro Matrix because it didn’t do that well in a mixed environment and I wanted to add more TVs. If you’re all 4k then you have some good options.

On 6/22/2022 at 5:49 AM, adam333 said:

under $2000.   More than that, it would make more sense to just put local equipment at the TVs

JTech may be your only realistic option. Switch is prob around $1000, then you'll need 8 point to point HDBaseT sets, you should be able to get that for around another $1000. Assuming you're using the CAT distribution on that 300.

Note that that isn't a recommendation. I know Ari uses them a lot, but we've junked way more JTechs than we've installed - and yes that is an accurate sentence.

The 'cheapest' HDMI switch of that size we quote is double your budget (Pulse Eight), frankly because it's the cheapest one we can rely on to work. That doesn't mean a cheaper option will not work - but it'd be up to you to take the risk/effort of returning them.

8 hours ago, Andrew luecke said:

By the way, what are you hoping to gain from this upgrade? That's the most important question

HAH fair point - I was thinking it was to replace a dead unit - but yeah if you're looking to UPGRADE, the why is rather important.

8 hours ago, Cyknight said:

JTech may be your only realistic option. Switch is prob around $1000, then you'll need 8 point to point HDBaseT sets, you should be able to get that for around another $1000. Assuming you're using the CAT distribution on that 300.

Note that that isn't a recommendation. I know Ari uses them a lot, but we've junked way more JTechs than we've installed - and yes that is an accurate sentence.

The 'cheapest' HDMI switch of that size we quote is double your budget (Pulse Eight), frankly because it's the cheapest one we can rely on to work. That doesn't mean a cheaper option will not work - but it'd be up to you to take the risk/effort of returning them.

Well, I actually don't use JTECH a lot.  I've used 1 of their matrix and it was only because the client decided to go out on his own and purchase the least expensive one he could find.  I had trouble getting it to work, the IP driver on their website didn't work correctly, I spent hours of my time (and the client's money) troubleshooting it.  They did eventually produce a driver which worked and the matrix seems to be working fine for now.

I DO use their digital audio extender kits a lot, and have found them to be reliable.

I use AVPro Edge on all of my installs due to their software, support, and warranty as stated above.

On 6/23/2022 at 3:40 PM, Andrew luecke said:

By the way, what are you hoping to gain from this upgrade? That's the most important question

several of my binary-300 receivers are dead.  Luckily I had several backups.  I would also like to have 4k content.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.