C4 Forums | Control4

Roon Drivers are now Open-Source

DLite

Roon announced today that its C4 drivers are now open-source, posted on GitHub.  Does anyone have thoughts on whether this will be helpful or even just how it might work?  Are there other C4 drivers that are open-source?  To be sure, there are many bug fixes needed for Roon's drivers, although it's not totally clear to me that an open-source model is the best way to fix those issues.  Unless someone is willing to step forward and become accountable for the performance of the driver, we might just end up with a bunch of newly flawed versions of the software.

Thoughts are welcome, especially if they are more optimistic than mine!

2 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Just Checked the Web site 

You can now use any machine has the core with C4 Driver 

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/control4

I had just played with root a couple of weeks ago to replace plex for music and decided not to solely based on having to use their appliance. This is a game changer! 

The only obstacle i have now...anyone know a good app that also does CarPlay,  that would remotely access my Roon library? Seems remote access might be the only missing part with Roon for me.

That said, plex with plexamp for remote use seems to be an ideal solution, integrates with C4 (though no search function) and has remote use and carplay. I tried Tonky, but the remote use is lacking.

The only problem with Plex is library management. For most albums, it's not a problem - but i also have a large collection of live music which is difficult to tag and manage. Roon seemed to do a good job there.....

3 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

I had just played with root a couple of weeks ago to replace plex for music and decided not to solely based on having to use their appliance. This is a game changer! 

The only obstacle i have now...anyone know a good app that also does CarPlay,  that would remotely access my Roon library? Seems remote access might be the only missing part with Roon for me.

That said, plex with plexamp for remote use seems to be an ideal solution, integrates with C4 (though no search function) and has remote use and carplay. I tried Tonky, but the remote use is lacking.

The only problem with Plex is library management. For most albums, it's not a problem - but i also have a large collection of live music which is difficult to tag and manage. Roon seemed to do a good job there.....

There is nothing official that will let you access Roon when away from home.  If you search the Roon forums, you can find various workarounds. The key obstacle is that your remote device has to be on the same subnet as the Roon core in order for access to work. So, for instance, if you have a VPN set up on a different subnet than your home network, you won’t be able to VPN in and use Roon.

On 6/22/2022 at 4:51 PM, DLite said:

Roon announced today that its C4 drivers are now open-source, posted on GitHub.  Does anyone have thoughts on whether this will be helpful or even just how it might work? 

I just started playing with these. Unfortunately right at the top it notes Roon will no longer be developing -> "Note that Roon Labs has no current plans to do additional development work on this driver. We're able to answer specific questions about the driver design or RoonAPI, and could merge pull requests, but that is about the limit."

I guess they went to open-source so someone (hopefully one of the dealers) will take responsibility of future developments.

5 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

I just started playing with these. Unfortunately right at the top it notes Roon will no longer be developing -> "Note that Roon Labs has no current plans to do additional development work on this driver. We're able to answer specific questions about the driver design or RoonAPI, and could merge pull requests, but that is about the limit."

I guess they went to open-source so someone (hopefully one of the dealers) will take responsibility of future developments.

Too bad. I hope someone is interested in taking it on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.