C4 Forums | Control4

getting an amp to work with a MTS

sfleck

i finally got my hands on a few of these

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html

and they sound awesome!

but i can't seem to get it working with the MTS.

i have the RCA outputs hooked directly to the amp. but no audio

why is there no simple 2-channel amplifier driver ? and what are people using for such a thing?

also, just to be sure i'm doing this right, the MTS should be able to directly play the MP3's stored on the MC right? i mean, if i hook an amp to the RCA jacks on the MTS, i should be able to select an MP3 and hear it out the speakers, right?

could someone help me with what i might be doing wrong here? i can't seem to figure out what it is.

thanks,

steve

Yeah T-Amp, isn't that thing cool. I've had mine for a few weeks and I do believe the bass sounds better than right out of the box. Either that or I'm more used to it. But it is a fantastic thing for $30. I hooked mine up to my HTC relay to turn it on/off. It works perfectly!

AS2

Yeah T-Amp, isn't that thing cool. I've had mine for a few weeks and I do believe the bass sounds better than right out of the box. Either that or I'm more used to it. But it is a fantastic thing for $30. I hooked mine up to my HTC relay to turn it on/off. It works perfectly!

AS2

hey AS2, maybe you can elaborate a little bit on how you have yours setup and what features it brings "to the party".

thanks

steve

I think the Sonic Impact T-Amp is just about the coolest little amplifier around. I wouldn't hesitate putting together a sound system with it and some nice, efficient speakers. In fact, I'm currently doing just that. I found it's a great compliment to C4 in certian respects, and I can imagine it's great to amplify an MTS audio output too.

I created a T-Amp driver essentially the same way you did, with a single stereo RCA in and one speaker out. I wrote the driver with only two IR commands, descrete ON and descrete OFF. (these are dummy commands, explination below). I stripped back the T-Amp's 12vDC power cord and cut the outer wire. I fed both ends of this cut wire, elongated with CAT5, into the 'common' and 'Normally Closed' terminals on the HTC relay. I leave the T-Amp volume/on/off knob at noon. Open/close the relay to test turning it on & off. In the programming I set it to close the relay when the T-Amp is turned on, and open it when the T-Amp is turned off. C4 thinks it's sending IR on/off commands and the relay is an afterthought, but the relay is actually doing the turning on/off.

Then I've hooked up a bunch of inputs through a line level mixer. I'm actually looking for a good, simple, small, cheap, Audio Switch w/ IR volume control. If anyone has such a thing, please post it up!

in that case, do i need to define an amplifier at all?

To me the answer is no (because I would be happy leaving the amp on all the time). To AS2, the answer is yes. So why is it a yes for AS2? Because he is turning the device on and off. If you are happy to keep it on all the time, then don't write a driver. If you want it to turn on/off (which in this case makes a great deal of sense) then write a driver. AS2 has taken a nice product and "hacked" it to integrate extremely well with Control4.

this is a VERY elegant / cost effective / intelligent solution to the MiniTouch Screen audio output "problem".

i want to emphasize that these little amps SOUND FANTASTIC! for a simple audio zone like a patio, deck, bedroom etc. that does not require a full blown system ... this amp kicks butt. far better than any A-Bus audio keypad and i would say twice the volume. the perfect solution for any room that has a MTS that would also be an audio zone controlled by the MTS.

i have mine working now and the problem i was having was OVER-THINKING the solution. as has been mentioned in this thread by Rob (rmacdougall) ... "Make the MTS the Audio End Point and Volume Control and that should work." ... and that was all that needed to be done. here i was thinking more like a C4 installer and that the MTS would NOT be the audio-endpoint but that an amp would have to be defined and set as the audio endpoint. which is NOT the case.

as Samer mentioned, AS2 has a great solution as well and can control the power state of the T-Amp. although it is not required this makes it perhaps easier to program an ALL-OFF or ALL-ON custom button. kudos to AS2 for the added feature.

so,

get an amp and a 12V power supply.

hook up speaker leads to the amp and a pair of speakers

hook an RCA to stereo mini jack to the amp and to the MTS

turn the amp on

set the MTS as the Audio Endpoint

voila!

adjust the volume all the way up on the MTS and then adjust the volume knob on the amp to the point where it starts to sound distorted. you have now added a complete audio zone solution to that room for about $30 and the cost of a 12V adaptor (and a MTS of course.)

thanks to everyone for their help. especially Jayson for turning me on to these amps in the first place. and to Rob, AS2 and Samer for their input.

i still say that C4 would have no problem fitting this type of amplifier directly in the MTS and powering it from the POE supply. a solution that makes far more sense than a pair of RCA jacks.

i still say that C4 would have no problem fitting this type of amplifier directly in the MTS and powering it from the POE supply. a solution that makes far more sense than a pair of RCA jacks.

Dan and I were just talking about this very thing on Friday. We might have to make it happen before C4 gets around to it. I'd rather they focus on shipping the Wireless Outlets!

could you use these amps mated to a C4 16x16 audio switch to create a scaleable audio system? At $39 per amp a 16 zone system would cost ~$600 plus the cost of the switch and speakers.

OK, you piqued my interest; so I ordered one yesterday.

Saw the Super T Amp there also. I didn’t think the nicer case, vol. knob and rca inputs was worth an additional $110 though.

I can’t wait to power my Wilson Alexandria X-2’s with it. :D

I ordered a couple to tinker with as well. I just want to hear what all the fuss is about, as they seem to be popping up all over the web. And at $24 they might as well be free, for as good as they're supposed to sound.

Archived