Jump to content
C4 Forums | Control4

NYCE Sensor: 'Pipe Edition' :-)


booch
 Share

Recommended Posts

Figured I'd share a simple hack I did tonight that came out well (I think):

  • Use Case: Our front door DS2 has occasional false positives for our motion annoucement (which we love), so I wanted to add a second sensor to QA that via confirmation logic
  • Solution: Dissasembled a NYCE 3041 and integrated it into a 1" PVC pipe/cap, sealed it at the bottom and sensor for the outdoor environment, painted and cut it to be a landscape 'stake'

Given these sensors are known to be durable outdoors pre-mod., thinking it will hold up. Also upped to a CR123 for 2x battery life (despite easy cap removal to change).

IMG_8833.png.ca4e707d886ee2a89d3163573874c00f.png

IMG_8835.png.0536813bb6d0d2a6dc810b9ec3e64c40.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 7/12/2022 at 2:19 PM, RAV said:

Looks great... being that close to the ground are you concerned at all about falses from critters?

sounds like he is checking motion from the ds2 as well so have to have both to fire to get an alert.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/12/2022 at 4:19 PM, RAV said:

Looks great... being that close to the ground are you concerned at all about falses from critters?

 

On 7/14/2022 at 3:01 PM, Matt Lowe said:

sounds like he is checking motion from the ds2 as well so have to have both to fire to get an alert.

 

Thanks! And you're both correct.

The false positives are high right now if it sits for awhile, I assume mostly from the weather (in the 90s). Sprinklers, critters, etc., would also likely be triggers.

But, as Matt says, this is just to confirm another sensor. So even if it's firing ~10% of the time, it's still providing dual confirmation the other 90%, which was the goal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you were to have a smaller hole for the sensor to “see” out of you may very well reduce your sensors falsing to near zero

Im doing something similar to you and the falsing was unbearable until I made that adjustment 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2022 at 5:22 PM, booch said:

 

Thanks! And you're both correct.

The false positives are high right now if it sits for awhile, I assume mostly from the weather (in the 90s). Sprinklers, critters, etc., would also likely be triggers.

But, as Matt says, this is just to confirm another sensor. So even if it's firing ~10% of the time, it's still providing dual confirmation the other 90%, which was the goal.

for those that run blue iris. running an AI on the camera motions have just straight up fixed false notifications for me. its been awesome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2022 at 8:49 AM, BXTR said:

If you were to have a smaller hole for the sensor to “see” out of you may very well reduce your sensors falsing to near zero

Im doing something similar to you and the falsing was unbearable until I made that adjustment 

Thanks for the tip -- will experiment. Thankfully, have plenty of pipe leftover for a short shroud!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2022 at 10:58 AM, Matt Lowe said:

for those that run blue iris. running an AI on the camera motions have just straight up fixed false notifications for me. its been awesome.

Wish this was HIK! Still can't get any reliable motion sensing out of mine (or when I do, the right integration of the events).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...