C4 Forums | Control4

AnyDVD and AnyDVD HD

ILoveC4

=bog

So what is your media setup? Have you checked out the XBMC app for the iPhone yet? I want to see how it works with the Boxee beta.

Not yet. My media setup is in evolution. With Video, I'm trying to re-create the same easy (Sonos <-> OSX) experience that I have with music.

Alas - it's not that easy! Currently I use macmini's, but I'm not 100% happy with the failsafe "always works" setup for these. Even with C4 IR control of Mira.

It's fine for me, but it will not pass the "family of girls" test. That's why I'm now back onto the AppleTV with ATV flash idea. It's the built in Boxee and XBMC AND the ability to stream from a NAS that interests me. At only $300 odd dollars, who cares if it doesn't do 1080p. I'll just get another one when Apple releases an "AppleTV upgrade"...surely they'll HAVE to do this one day. They can't let WMC/Win7 steal back all those HTPC folk...surely not..:cool:

But I just wish you could just leave an .iso file or "mactheripper" produced folder in itunes. It such a pain having to have different video files in different locations all the time....my ideal setup?..well it's like "well-armed's". Raided DAS and Mac-pro based. http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?pid=39626#p39626 With itunes as the central media storage solution. It's just as he and I have discovered, Apple doesn't let us do what we want to do right now...I feel his pain. And understand why he's moving to a HTPC.......:/

Since you're into the same tech as I am I'll share what I've tried and what I settled on. :)

-Before I bought C4, I had an Apple TV. Not completely happy I bought an XBox 360 to test it as a media player. I decided I preferred the Apple TV.

-I now have an HC300, C4 AMP, C4 Thermostat and about a dozen dimmers. I really like using Rhapsody through C4.

-I have a UniDrive from Audio Authority (A/V balun) that I was testing to see if I wanted to jump up to the AVMatrix for another TV in my house. This lets me centralize my Apple TV and other A/V equipment in my media closet.

-I pre-ordered my Apple TV when Apple first announced it back in 2007. I'm REALLY happy using Boxee or XBMC on my Apple TV and streaming content from my NAS. Although I'm a moderator on the Boxee forums and have worked on their wiki and various tutorials for a long time, I'm preferring to use XBMC. Boxee is moving towards focusing on Internet content and much of this doesn't work outside of the US (I'm in Canada and couldn't be bothered setting up proxies).

-I do not like media management and handling of C4. Boxee/XBMC is my preferred way of playing media. I use C4 to switch video sources (my Onkyo takes 3 component video sources and can switch them) using an IR driver. I also created an IR driver for my Apple TV (the Apple remote only has about 6 buttons). This has passed the girlfriend test since she was using Boxee on my Apple TV connected directly to the TV pre-C4 days. She knows she just has to press Watch | Apple TV and everything switches.

-My girlfriend also prefers to play music from her iTunes library. Have you ever used AirTunes feature on the Apple TV? This feature in iTunes lets you pick the speakers music plays (in the bottom right corner of the iTunes application). You can direct audio from iTunes to the Apple TV. It even works when Boxee or XBMC has been launched on the Apple TV.

-This past week, I've been using the XBMC app on my iPhone and really like it. The Apple Remote app on the iPhone also lets us control the playback of music from iTunes which is then directed to C4 and/or the Apple TV.

-We also stream music through C4 from my NAS (all my iTunes music actually resides on the NAS anyways). We use the C4 SR-250 remote for browsing our music on the NAS.

Steve Jobs is a facist. I wish Apple TV and iTunes would natively support additional containers and codecs.

Steve Jobs is a facist. I wish Apple TV and iTunes would natively support additional containers and codecs.

Thanks heaps for the insight. Cool setup !

Regarding Apple TV codecs, you do know about ATV Flash right? www.atvflash.com

Regarding iTunes, Your not wrong! Nobody could convice me that there isn't a new Version of iTunes with this support locked under key in the bowels of some Apple R&D department...!

I mean with Windows Media Centre moving so fast, and onto a touchscreen interface they'd be crazy not to have this up to speed ready to go at a moments notice....surely all it would take would be one Apple Boardroom decision, and we'd have these the next day....

Actually this is the key to using a computer as a media player IMHO. It's touchscreen control of the computer. Not full IR or IP control of the computer. This is just too tricky. Sure use IR or IP to wake the thing or select apps, but then onto touchscreen. I think Microsoft has jumped them on this one. A month ago my hopes were sky high :cool: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/18/apple-launching-22-inch-touchscreen-imac-this-year/ But instead we got the ipad :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know about ATV Flash. Boxee/XBMC supports additional containers and formats and the ability to mount shares. This is all the Apple TV is missing. Well... Maybe an sdk and app store would be nice.

I recommend against supporting ATVFlash. Their entire product is based on open source software, the majority of which was made possible by the development efforts of 1-2 people at XBMC and they have not seen fit to give credit let alone contribute to the XBMC project. You can do everything the ATV Flash does for free with a little legwork.

Archived