C4 Forums | Control4

ShairBridge minimum requirements

Steve Hammond

2 hours ago, dcovach said:

You need at least an HC800 controller so you can't do this on an HC250

That is why I said ShairBridge could be what will make me upgrade to a new controller, one better than the HC250. But it probably won’t be an HC800, which is relatively old too. 

12 hours ago, Steve Hammond said:

That is why I said ShairBridge could be what will make me upgrade to a new controller, one better than the HC250. But it probably won’t be an HC800, which is relatively old too. 

I personally would upgrade based on performance alone, but you could just add an airplay device.

For other audio based reasons, I've been playing with Raspberry PIs. You could easily add a Raspberry Pi and load hifiberry, dietpi or RoPieee all good options for simple Pi config for audio, and all provide Airplay.

9 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

I personally would upgrade based on performance alone, but you could just add an airplay device.

For other audio based reasons, I've been playing with Raspberry PIs. You could easily add a Raspberry Pi and load hifiberry, dietpi or RoPieee all good options for simple Pi config for audio, and all provide Airplay.

I guess a Raspberry Pi won’t do better than an Apple TV. You still need to select the source from the Control4 app and then airplay to the Pi. 

1 hour ago, Steve Hammond said:

I guess a Raspberry Pi won’t do better than an Apple TV. You still need to select the source from the Control4 app and then airplay to the Pi. 

Depends on the entirety of what you're doing.

Apple TV's don't have audio out. And they're not a fun thing to use headless in a rack to just provide airplay.

At the same time, if all you want to do is add airplay to an area that you also have an ATV, then it's almost a no brainer.

1 hour ago, ekohn00 said:

Depends on the entirety of what you're doing.

Apple TV's don't have audio out. And they're not a fun thing to use headless in a rack to just provide airplay.

At the same time, if all you want to do is add airplay to an area that you also have an ATV, then it's almost a no brainer.

My Apple TV are all in my rack. I used to be able to AirPlay to one that I directed to an audio output of the matrix, but it is a dual step configuration that I can deal with maybe, but too much for the other members of my family. 

I do not see how a Raspberry Pi could handle the sound of the matrix without being integrated into the Control4 system itself. Maybe can you share the how to of your setup??

11 hours ago, Steve Hammond said:

I do not see how a Raspberry Pi could handle the sound of the matrix without being integrated into the Control4 system itself. Maybe can you share the how to of your setup??

You could add a DAC hat to a PI. This allows streaming music to play direct from the PI/DAC to the matrix. You need an OS on the PI that supports Airplay.

Check out hifiberry.com - they make a bunch of audio hats for the PI. HIFIBerryOS supports Airplay as well as DLNA, Spotify Connect, bluetooth and a few others.

Simply putting Kodi (eg OSMC) on a RPI also has an option to enable or disable airplay.  You could get the chowmain kodi lite driver and program a room to turn on when audio starts playing.  I think that could work too.  The kodi lite driver has a trial option so it could be tested before buying.

5 minutes ago, dcovach said:

Simply putting Kodi (eg OSMC) on a RPI also has an option to enable or disable airplay.  You could get the chowmain kodi lite driver and program a room to turn on when audio starts playing.  I think that could work too.  The kodi lite driver has a trial option so it could be tested before buying.

That is all the problems I can see if using a Pi for AirPlay, since my audio matrix is connected to 8 different zones. Even if I can AirPlay to a Pi, it won’t help me select which zone I want to use over AirPlay. I even have an AirPlay AirPort Express that could be used for AirPlay, but that won’t result in any easy way to select the destination. 

12 minutes ago, Steve Hammond said:

That is all the problems I can see if using a Pi for AirPlay, since my audio matrix is connected to 8 different zones. Even if I can AirPlay to a Pi, it won’t help me select which zone I want to use over AirPlay. I even have an AirPlay AirPort Express that could be used for AirPlay, but that won’t result in any easy way to select the destination. 

If the RPI has an audio path to your matrix while using the kodi lite driver, it will show up as a device on the navigators.  So instead of programming a zone to turn on, you could select one manually and add desired zones.  I'm not sure if this is the way you want the integration to work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.