C4 Forums | Control4

Wattage Rating on C4 Amps

3fingerbrown

I'm trying to choose some speakers that will be powered by the C4 8 zone amp. The wattage rating is a big factor in this decision, as I don't want to buy speakers that will be under powered by these amps.

The C4 8-zone amp is rated at 120 watts per channel @ 8 ohms, or 220 watts per channel @ 4 ohms.

The C4 4-zone amp is rated at 60 watts per channel @ 8 ohms, or 120 watts per channel @ 4 ohms.

1. I assume that by "per channel" do they mean per speaker, as the common usage in the industry, and not per zone?

2. Are these ratings RMS power? Many manufacturers inflate their wattage statistics. Anyone have an idea on what the "real" statistics are? These numbers can't be real with all the zones powered.

3. Why does the power double with the 8 zone amp? This makes me even more suspicious.

4. Is it wise to run speakers at 4 ohms off this amp? It won't overheat, etc? I would only be running one zone with 4 ohm speakers.

5. If the answer to #4 is yes, to run at 4 ohms, do you simply buy speakers that can run at that impedance? I'm new to this "ohm" thing, and I'm trying to figure out how you set things up to run at 4 ohms.

Archived