C4 Forums | Control4

Goodbye to component 1080p???

ERDrPC

This will definitely ramp up the competition for reliable and cost effective HDMI video distribution.

I hope so. It's funny when I read (on another forum) opinions on video distribution

systems and some people say "I would never install HDMI because it's too much a PITA"

and others say "I would never install component because it will be obsolete soon".

Makes me want to read about solutions for Middle East peace.

That's a good line :lol:

Here is the direct quote from the AACS Adopter Agreement.
2.2.2.1 Analog Sunset – 2010. With the exception of Existing Models,

any Licensed Player manufactured after December 31, 2010 shall

limit analog video outputs for Decrypted AACS Content to SD

Interlace Modes only. Existing Models may be manufactured and

sold by Adopter up until December 31, 2011. Notwithstanding the

foregoing, Adopter may continue to manufacture and sell an

Existing Model in which the implementation of AACS Technology

is a Robust Inactive Product after December 31, 2010 provided

that when such Robust Inactive Product is activated through a

Periodic Update, such Periodic Update results in a Licensed Player

that limits analog video outputs for Decrypted AACS Content to

SD Interlace Modes only. Nothing in this section shall be

interpreted to override limitations or obligations stated in any other

section of this Agreement.

For purposes of this section, “SD Interlace Modes” shall mean

composite video, s-video, 480i component video and 576i video.

2.2.2.2 Analog Sunset – 2013. No Licensed Player that passes Decrypted

AACS Content to analog video outputs may be manufactured or

sold by Adopter after December 31, 2013.

There are no exceptions.

I remember reading this before and being a bit confused because

they only talk about AACS. With what little I know, in my mind,

AACS only applies to BR dics. I figured a DirecTV box for normal

TV (say an NFL game) would still be in HD over component because

it has nothing to do with AACS. I guess I'm wrong...bummer.

Here is a random thought: How will the analog sunset affect control4's output of the GUI over component? Will the analog sunset cause any problems if control4 continues to stick with component for output of the GUI to the TV?

Good question. I would have thought it would be OK because it is not AACS decrypted content, but maybe not?

Here is a random thought: How will the analog sunset affect control4's output of the GUI over component? Will the analog sunset cause any problems if control4 continues to stick with component for output of the GUI to the TV?

It's only Hollywood movies that will do the ICT token/flag. I seriously doubt Control4 would implement this. They don't even have anything with HDMI on the horizon that I'm aware of - and that would go over *worse* than Zigbee Pro did.

The c4 controllers are not "players" in the sense of the AACS, nor are they "licensed players". That said, the ICT is designed to be embedded and therefore triggered by "the content" and it's owners. The only content that comes through the analog HD components of a C4 controller is the navigator UI, which they own anyway.

The digital media players are another whole ball of wax though. You'd have to assume that at some point streams and rips will be fair game and dealt with by the content owners.

So now that we are forced to go HDMI, what brands are people using with respect to matrix's? Is there anything else on the same scale as Crestron's DM in terms of speed of switching and lack of delay?? JAP is not an option until they go full lossless video and audio. Is there any other matrix that will do simulatenous handshaking of all equipment in the background which will cut down on the delay??

So now that we are forced to go HDMI, what brands are people using with respect to matrix's? Is there anything else on the same scale as Crestron's DM in terms of speed of switching and lack of delay?? JAP is not an option until they go full lossless video and audio. Is there any other matrix that will do simulatenous handshaking of all equipment in the background which will cut down on the delay??

I've heard that several companies (Key Digital, Zektor, etc...) have solutions that will use a single cat cable to provide HDMI distribution reliably. From what I am hearing you should see these in the next couple of months.

I recently tested a Shinybow HDMI matrix and it worked great.

• 2 weeks later...

HDMI 1.3 over single CAT5e works well enough. I have three such runs of this in various lengths up to around 75'and all looks well.

This situation has me worried and not just token thing. For those who did not plan far enough ahead, when or will there be HDMI 1.4 over IP?

HDMI 1.3 over single CAT5e works well enough. I have three such runs of this in various lengths up to around 75'and all looks well.

This situation has me worried and not just token thing. For those who did not plan far enough ahead, when or will there be HDMI 1.4 over IP?

What baluns are you using?

• 11 months later...

Currently, I'm doing old school Standard Def modulation as a video distribution "system" to some smaller sized TV's {insert grimace here}. However, very soon (couple of weeks) I will be adding an additional larger LCD or Plasma and wanted to bite the bullet and implement a true HD matrix. I've ruled out component because of the sunsetting being discussed here. I was hoping to get my hands on a proven HDMI matrix solution (Single Ethernet or RG6) , but sounds like they are not fully baked and/or available?

So is the answer, "Just wait...." and maybe move one of my Dishnetwork Receivers to the new location to provide some HD content to the new TV? I guess that means my Dune player will have to wait too....

Thoughts?

Archived