C4 Forums | Control4

How to program an action that can be activated remotely

fschaeffer

Hi,

I think I have seen this discussion before, but wasn't able to find it.

Here's the situation: I have motorized blinds on my bedrooms that are connected to C4 contact relays. From what I have seen using a MT, Web Navigator and the iPhone App, I can only toggle the blind commands (raise or lower), that is and I press toggle (that is the only option available), it will either raise or lower the blinds.

When I'm at home in front of the blinds, I can easily see their status and press the toggle button. I have also programmed a button that will lower all the blinds if it's night time. This is ok while I'm at home

Now how can I activate this programing remotely (either via Web Navigator or the iPhone App) - I want to be able, let's say, to lower or raise the blinds at my request - the way it works now, I can only select the toggle button, which will either lower or raise, depending on it's current position, but since I'm away, I cannot figure out what the current status is.

I remember reading a thread about someone programing actions on lighting scenes or something similar, as lighting scenes can be easily activated remotely - I only can't figure out where to add other actions other than lighting loads to these lighting scenes...

This is a good candidate for a walkthrough on the blog, though I'm sure it will change after 2.0 comes around.

At any rate, create a light scene for lower, and create a light scene for raise.

What you want to do is create a variable that tracks the state - when it's lowered, the "lowered blinds" variable will be true for example.

Next, in the programming for the light scene, when the light scene is executed, have it check to see if the variable is true or not. For example: Light scene Raise shades checks to see if the variable "lowered blinds" is true. if it's true, then it executes and raises the blinds. If it is false, it does nothing (because the conditional must be met for the action to happen). Another light scene, lower blinds, checks the variable "lowered blinds". If it is false, it lowers the blinds. If it's true, nothing happens.

Hope that helps.

guys, it does show up in mine as well.

The problem is with the iPhone Apps - the only option under Comfort Controls is to Toggle the blinds - there is no way of knowing its status (if its raised or lowered) - that is why I need to somehow create a button/lighting scene that will raise and lower the blinds at my request.

guys, it does show up in mine as well.

The problem is with the iPhone Apps - the only option under Comfort Controls is to Toggle the blinds - there is no way of knowing its status (if its raised or lowered) - that is why I need to somehow create a button/lighting scene that will raise and lower the blinds at my request.

What about custom buttons?

Thanks for the info.

As I haven't even read about custom buttons, what are they used for and how do we create them. Can these buttons perform any action (for instance: start a playlist, raise the blinds, activate a lighting scene, etc.)

Also, can we create them with Composer Home Edition?

Hi Guys,

Custom buttons was the solution and I didn't know it was so easy to program them!! you can do anything with it!!!

Thanks all for the tips.

Just added an announcement recorded with my voice saying that daddy is approaching the garage door - Now that I can access my iPhone app via 3G, I hit this button while driving and this announcement is heard throughout the house - my 4 year old boy seats waiting for me when he hears the announcement. So cool!!

Archived