C4 Forums | Control4

Basic Media Scene

ktraynham

I am having trouble implementing a basic media scene (such as "Play Ken's Favorites in the Den"). Using the Media Scene Agent, I can choose my room, but I have not found an obvious way to select the audio source, nor set volume, etc. I have looked in the forums and on the blog and have not yet found anything that made this clear to me. I would appreciate pointers to existing information, or any description on how to do this, or screen shots if you have a simple working scene. Thanks, Ken Traynham

Tech I instructor told us that Media Scenes are not recommended for use. What are you planning to have trigger the event? A keypad button? Custom Button on Nav screen or remote? To set a default volume at start you have to have a C4 amp or a receiver controlled by RS232 driver if memory serves correct.

See maybe here.. http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=5042 for a simple button push to start a playlist or song or album, etc.

Also c4central has lots of good programming tips at http://www.c4central.com

There are also lots of other programming tips for audio etc. within Programming with ComposerHE threads.

Just doesn't play nice with the rest of the system, much like a bad screen saver or invasive virus scan program on a PC. Can cause overall system instability.

Before I was learned better (LOL) I had one I was creating where in a simple turn on a tv command completely locked up the controller. Only way out was a power down reboot. I replaced that with an emit the ir code for power on instead to get around it. I thought that fixed it but, in the end I think the media scene was my initial problems with the remotes not responding.

Here is how I use them. I have custom buttons setup so that when I press them it starts a playlist, then launces a media scene. It is really nice to be able to control the music in certain parts of the house (common areas, entire main floor, upstairs, etc..) all at once. The volume all adjusts together and everything, which is really nice. I am using a media scene right now as a matter of fact.

I really like them and they haven't even caused me a problem.

Thanks for all the helpful input. I understand my system much better now, but I still cannot use Composer HE to play any kind of stored music. Let me describe my system in more detail and then ask a couple of questions.

First, I my firmware is 1.7 and I am running Composer HE 1.6. Will that cause a problem, and, if so, how do I get Composer HE 1.7? I have not yet found a way to upgrade.

My system consists of an HC-300 Controller with a USB-attached WD harddrive with stored MP3 files comprising the playlist I wish to hear. One audio output from the HC-300 feeds a four-zone amplifier. The outputs of the amplifier are Dining Room, Den, Porch, and Master Bedroom.

As has been noted here, it is simple to create a script to play a given playlist in the Den when, say, a button is pushed. I have done this, but when I execute the script no music plays in the Den, even though the Mini-Touch Panels show that the selected playlist is in fact playing in the Den.

I assumed that it was necessary to programatically set the correct inputs, outputs, and volumes on the zone amp to make this work, but so far I have been unable to play music.

If somebody can suggest what I might be overlooking, or any way to understand better what is actually happening with my system, I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Ken Traynham

First, I my firmware is 1.7 and I am running Composer HE 1.6. Will that cause a problem, and, if so, how do I get Composer HE 1.7? I have not yet found a way to upgrade.

Always run the same version of Composer HE as the version of system software on your C4 system. When your dealer upgraded your system he should have also sent you a link o the upgrade of Composer HE. Call your dealer and request the link.

Show us the code you used to play the music.

One quick thought I have is that playback should be stopped BEFORE executing a media scene. I read that if you enable or change a media scene WHILE your MP3s are playing, the additional rooms won't come on (or go off) as expected. Make sure playback is stopped.

I have an HC300 feeding into a 16-channel amp. On my Mini-Touch I created custom buttons, one for each of my media scenes. The programming on each button is a variation on this:

When custom button 'Party' on screen 'Select Rooms' in Kitchen is pressed:

? If Living area is Activated

> Deactivate scene 'Living area'

? if Whole house is Activated

> Deactivate scene 'Whole house'

Activate scene 'Party' based on Last Selected Room

Looking back, I could add a 'Stop' command if some source is playing! Actually, I could surely create a variable to store the current source, stop it, change the scene, and then restart the source... though it might start back at the beginning? I guess I could live with that, though, since right now I manually stop playback and restart it manually. =)

Anyways, the above works fine for me. No problem with Media Scenes to report.

I haven't actually put any programming on the Media Scene activation event...

FYI, I am running 1.7.3.68... with matching versions of Director and Composer. =)

(Control4 -- why can't you please put links to all the versions of Composer HE into our "my.control4.com" accounts?! Surely the site could be aware of what version of Director is running if you want to coddle those users too brain dead to keep Composer and Director versions in alignment?? You're just creating work for your dealers and hassle for the end consumers!!)

Mark

In the Agents area, do your Media Scenes have the various "Track" checkboxes checked?

As noted above, my Media Scenes behave just as I expect them too... and in all of my scenes, all four of "Source Selection", "Volume", "Mute" and "Room Off" are checked for each room in the scene.

M.

Have you ever had ANY sound come out of the speakers in your Den? Could there be a wiring or speaker problem? Maybe swap the wires between the den and a room that IS working to be sure that the Den speakers are capable of making noise. (Sorry if I'm getting TOO basic here!)

M.

Archived