C4 Forums | Control4

Making best use of HC1000's HDD

wappinghigh

I'm about to have one of these installed. I'm doing this to speed up my C4 and handle the other drivers I'm getting. I'm not necessarily getting it for it's HDD.

For folk who have NAS's and other storage devices for their media, how do you put the HC1000's 500G hard drive to good use? I know Dan says he splits his music library between a NAS and the HC1000...but I don't want to do this. ( I have no need and I'd want backup in any case). So with the HC1000's HDD:

Can you mount it as a share on a MAC/PC? Does Director sit on the HDD or in SS memory? Can you back up the HDD? ..Or even use it as a backup? Any other uses? Seems a shame to waste all the HDD space...

I think it is designed to hold music files, but I don't know for sure. I'd be interested to hear people's responses.

All mine is used for (in my old school Media Controller...my HC1000V3 isn't here yet) is storage of some music files...

I have an HC1000 and an HC500. I don't use the HD on either one!

I have a DROBO network storage device with 4 TB and I use it for everything in my home including video/audio files for the C4 system.

It's a waste of HD space to have these two C4 controllers sitting there with empty HD's but I really don't want to use it for media because I would end up backing up the media anyway (probably on the DROBO) so what's the point.

It is not really recommended to store anything other than your MP3 and FLAC files on the HC-1000 hard drive.

Ok. But I don't get this. Sorry. Just one of those philosophical differences I guess...:rolleyes: I'll check with my dealer and see what he says...

It is not really recommended to store anything other than your MP3 and FLAC files on the HC-1000 hard drive.

Ok. But I don't get this. Sorry. Just one of those philosophical differences I guess...:rolleyes: I'll check with my dealer and see what he says...

Why? What are you looking to store? You can't stream videos from it.

The system's design doesn't lend itself to being a true file server. It's really designed to hold files for local, not network use. That's why trying to mount a video stored on the HC1000 is a problem. The current kernel and architecture doesn't fair well with recursive linking, it wants to serve it local or link to a share that will serve the file.

Unless it's a small library, you are better off using a NAS where data protection is in place and you can get the best performance. (ReadyNAS)

Why? What are you looking to store? You can't stream videos from it.

Would be perfect for security video storage. being static IP. Always needs to be left on. Stored away locked up out of sight. Only small res files. Not to worry....I'll use some other storage device..

Would be perfect for security video storage. being static IP. Always needs to be left on. Stored away locked up out of sight. Only small res files. Not to worry....I'll use some other storage device..

I suppose, but a NAS would be smarter using RAID against disk failure and ease of expansion/replacement.

Archived