C4 Forums | Control4

Blinking light switches ...

YRRAB

First time poster: I have Control4 300 and 4 light switches. They tried to upgrade me to 1.8 (and said it was successful) but my light controls keep blinking (like they are trying to log into something) but what's terrible is that I can't turn on any of the lights ... the switches just keep blinking. I've tried cutting off all the power to the light switches ... and when I restore power, they start blinking again. At night I'm totally in the dark because I can't turn on the lights.

I'm sure the first thought is to get the people back out ... but it's a long story ending up with money issues between them and Control4 ... and I don't believe they know what they're doing ... and they can't get Control4 support because of the money issues. Meanwhile, I've got no lights. I'm hoping there's a way I can "de-select" these switches and return to the manual mode and have lights.

You can respond to my email or here: barrycoopersr@bellsouth.net

Cordially,

Bsr

The dimmers/switches should work when you physically press them regardless. You can install Control4 dimmers in a home with no Control4 and they will still work.

Something isn't right here Barry...

You let them leave your house with it in this state?

They left because they couldn't fix it. They called Control4 support but were turned down. I didn't have a gun to hold them PLUS they had no more ideas. They said they would try to find out something and come back ... that was 2 weeks ago.

Bsr

Get in touch with The SOHO Shop. www.thesohoshop.com. Talk with Cody or Bryan.

You won't find much help on this here because the tools needed to fix it are only held by dealers, meaning any amount of advice someone here gives you will be outside of your ability, unless you are a dealer.

You need a dealer. Call Bryan or Cody at The SOHO Shop. If anyone can get the system back online (which I'm sure they can) it's those guys.

Good luck.

EDIT: Typo

Sounds like the switches are stuck in "mini-app" mode waiting to be upgraded to Zigbee-pro. You should still be able to use the physical switch to control a light but not any programming associated with the switch since it's not communicating.

Where are you located?

A sign that they're in mini-app, I believe they won't dim, they'll just switch, even if they're dimmers.

i.e. lights are either Off or On. If so, they're "halfway-upgraded", and need to finish the ZigBee Pro update.

RyanE

First of all you should NOT have upgraded to 1.8 without a dealer helping you. THIS IS A HUGE UPGRADE and u could have messed up your system bad.

BUT hoping that did not happen.............HOLD down the bottom button of each switch until it flashes YELLOW then let go. Then it will finish the upgrade to zig pro. It should then blink blue rapidly........when its done it will return to its normal color. Depending how many zig devices you have it will take some time........after your press and the YELLOW light / blinking changes to a fast flickering blue............let them go until they change back to solid.

For thermostats hit the middle button 4 times until u see SCANNING then online .........let it go..........on remotes hit the C4 button 4x and it shoudl say SCANNING then let it go.............

after ALL updates are DONE>>>>>>>>>>>>( id wait overnight) then go reboot your director. ( HC300 - HC500- HC1000)

I have 30 zig devices and it took about 4-6 hours to update them all...........so be patient

Each zibbee device needs to be done in this manor.

You have to have your controller (he has a single controller) setup from the move from MiniApp to Zigbee Pro, it isn't necessarily as easy as you just described.

Plus, once the firmware is upgraded you need to setup the secure mesh.

This is really something you need a dealer for. A dealer that knows what they're doing.

Like I said, call The SOHO Shop or jberger. Jberger is awesome, and so are Cody and Bryan. Any of them could probably get things going remotely if you were at the house and willing to take orders.

Well my thanks to all of you and in particular TAKITEZSDC ... I now have the blinking stopped and the lights operate in a manual mode. The lights won't go On and Off with the Remote ... but that's ok for now considering what I've been through the last 2 weeks.

To be clear ... I went thru an Authorized Dealer ... however, a Dealer is only as good as his worst tech. I thank all of you for your help and a Tip of the Hat to TAKITEZSDC.

Bsr

Well my thanks to all of you and in particular TAKITEZSDC ... I now have the blinking stopped and the lights operate in a manual mode. The lights won't go On and Off with the Remote ... but that's ok for now considering what I've been through the last 2 weeks.

To be clear ... I went thru an Authorized Dealer ... however, a Dealer is only as good as his worst tech. I thank all of you for your help and a Tip of the Hat to TAKITEZSDC.

Bsr

Glade I could help! Shawn will call you today. Fire your old dealer............The C4 GOD (Shawn) will fix the rest of your problems. /smile

Shawn P. Lemay

Archived