C4 Forums | Control4

Convert Bluray to .MKV format

well_armed

Hi

If you are a more experienced user and/or want high quality go for VID2EVA tool and use EVA9150, works flawlessly including batch mode etc...

Doesn't vid2eva re-encode? There must be some quality loss then - is it noticeable? I've used it a couple of times before but found the time it takes to re-encode every movie painful.

My bad, sorry.

I thought MakeMKV does also re-encode the video content from a BD disc into h264 video stream int an MKV container.

Obviously it just puts the BD content untouched into an MKV container - without saving space.

VID2EVA does require re-encoding. With very optimized settings you will not see any difference in quality even on larger screens with 1080p.

File size will be reduced by around 25-30% for 1080p and around 50% for movies in 720p.

However you will need a hell of a machine for encoding in decend speed.

This method saves a lot of space for me :cool:

VID2EVA does require re-encoding. With very optimized settings you will not see any difference in quality even on larger screens with 1080p.

File size will be reduced by around 25-30% for 1080p and around 50% for movies in 720p.

However you will need a hell of a machine for encoding in decend speed.

This method saves a lot of space for me :cool:

I built a PC recently that uses an Intel i7 Bloomfield processor overclocked to 4GHz and now my encoding is done in 2-3 hrs. Way better than my old PC that took 16 hrs.

I use ripbot264 and use the CQ option rather than the 2-pass method.

If I OC it to a higher frequncy encoding time will go down further but temps will definitely go above what I'm comfortable with. I can water cool it but the cost may out weigh the incremental gains that I will be getting. So far I'm happy with this setup.

Even 2-3 hours is too long. I don't know how you guys can stand to do that with every movie...

I just go to work and let it run during that time, when I come home it is finished :D

Even 2-3 hours is too long. I don't know how you guys can stand to do that with every movie...

2-3 hrs is nothing. I spend more time in front of a PC doing other stuff than this. The alternative is to keep the raw format (min. 20 GB for bluray) which is not acceptable to me.

Or just find a player that can handle the uncompressed files, and spend hours of your time doing something else. Drive space is getting cheaper every day.

True, but keep in mind that you need to back this up so you are talking about a significant amount of storage to support this.

BTW, this is all machine time so its not like you're baby sitting this task while its running. :)

True, but keep in mind that you need to back this up so you are talking about a significant amount of storage to support this.

Significant? Nah. You'd be spending more on the movies themselves than the hardware necessary to store them, even redundantly. For decent drives, space is under $.20/GB today. Add a few hundred for the overhead of hooking it up to a server that can handle several drives, and you've got a server that can store hundreds of movies.

So what? Say each movie is 50GB. That's 20 movies per TB, which means the little disk array in the closet will store more movies than I will watch in a year, heck -- two years! All things being equal, I'd rather have them smaller than bigger, but it's not like home storage space is the constraint.

Space *is* a constraint on my iPhone. I'm all about squeezing the movies down so they'll fit there, especially given that the max video output is so constrained.

When the iPhone can support 1080P output, then I'll be all over the full-res compression. :)

All I'm saying is that as movie collection grows, storage becomes an issue (albeit minor for some) more so if you're storing it in raw format. Having said that, there are other factors that come into play when choosing the path to take when it comes to backing up movies.

I'll wait for the iPad :)

• 9 months later...

If anyone is still following this post; I'm curious what you guys use to play the MakeMKV resulting files (specifically from a BluRay). I was looking at XBMC Linux as an option, but am stuck on finding a reasonably priced machine that can handle the full HD content without hiccups.

That looks very promising... it even specifically specifies DTS HD and TrueHD audio passthrough that I am quite interested in. My only concern now is if it can handle lossless HD content without hiccups or random buffering. It appears to claim it can, but I've had trouble finding something that lives up to it, especially for that price.

Let us know how it works out for you?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived