C4 Forums | Control4

Slingbox Solo

dgbrown

Thanks Cody.

Figured that since they just posted here yesterday perhaps they're still contributing on the board. And perhaps their response here would benefit us all.

Furthermore since they're not my dealer and I am not they're client - I'm not sure how they feel about phone support for questions like that ?

If there's no response here in a few days I may be inclined to pick up the phone and ask that question.

^ Ok. Pursuant to your suggestion I called. Andrew indicated "they built-it and kind of moved on". And that the driver may be available on the Solo and Pro as well, but wasn't sure. So the only thing he could confirm was the Pro HD which is what they've used.

It wasn't what I would consider a feel good call with definitive answers but I guess if you want the Sling/C4 integration - based on what they/he know(s) - stick with the Pro HD.

Is there some compelling reason to not step-up to the Pro? You do distribute HD content don't you? Honestly, I have had the Pro online for almost one year and I never use it. Hotels always have something interesting to watch at night...

HD on a mobile device seems a bit overkill doesn't it ? My use case in particular is catching the Thur/Fri golf rounds or an afternoon ball game when I can, likely on a mobile device. The Solo can take HD content and down convert it and the price delta is 50%. Significant for a nice to have that will likely see little use.

Your comments are exactly why I don't feel like dropping $300 on it. And quite frankly, I don't need a 4Sight replacement, so the remote angle is of little value to me.

Okay, so now I'm interested in this as well as a sling player for Android was just shown on video, said to be released this summer.

So, has anyone researched this further? It should be easy; we just need to find someone with a Sling SOLO and see if they can download the Control4 driver onto the device, right?

^ Dan, et al

I believe the the concerning issue is whether or not the C4 remote side bar comes with/or is compatible with the Sling Solo ?

I couldn't get a definitive from CytexOne ....

I know. I'm pretty sure it will work, I just don't want to buy a Slingbox SOLO to test it. Most of the Slingbox setup it actually done on the slingbox itself, not in Control4. In fact, all you do in Control4 is create a Slingbox room, it doesn't even have a Control4 driver. The Slingbox controls your HC300 via IR, and that is how the navigation works. We need to find someone who has a Slingbox SOLO and ask them if they can download the Control4 driver/firmware onto it.

http://wiki.cytexone.com/display/pubdocs/SlingBox+Control4+Integration

• 3 weeks later...

So today I decided to do a little digging into this, and I posted asking for help on the slingbox forums.

http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/thread/42519/Question-for-Sling-SOLO-users/;jsessionid=0F68DB28A9FBABA751C81540728D7D24

It looks like it should work fine with the Slingbox SOLO. I am going to try and pick one up this week and I will let you guys know how it goes.

• 1 month later...

Well, I've been wanting to add a TV to my home office, but couldn't find a good place to hang it. Being that I have dual 25" monitors I figured giving the slingbox a whirl may be a good way to have TV in there when I want, occupying one of the monitors. I picked up a Sling SOLO last night at Best Buy. I was going to get the ProHD because HD service is of interest to me, but after doing a comparison between the two I found the Sling SOLO handles up to 1080i and the only benefit of the ProHD seemed to me that it came with a phyiscal component cable and accepted two sources inputs as opposed to one. Being that I have a matrix switch I only needed one source, so I went with the SOLO.

I set it up last night and it works great! It was about 11:30 before I got home, so I didn't spend a ton of time with it but I plan on playing with it a bit today from here at work.

I'll do a writeup on it for the blog when I get a few minutes. The thing is really small, it surprised me. Video quality on the web app isn't the greatest, but when I installed the SlingPlayer for Windows on my computer the video quality was great, full 720p from my Comcast box.

If you have any questions let me know, otherwise watch for the writeup on the blog.

any sync or delay issues using this? I haven't had the chance to check out slingbox integration yet, but sounds very cool

It isn't lightning quick, but it works. When I do my write-up on it I will shoot some quick video of how it works.

• 3 weeks later...

Ilovec4, im trying to connect my slinbox solo to system. created a room, added one of the televisions, but trying to set up software does not show video. I have a composite into the "out" of my sony video switcher. help pleasem thanks

• 2 weeks later...

jasn, I just saw this...did you get it working? I remember at first the remotes buttons were all greyed out, so I reloaded the Control4 driver within the slingbox and it worked after that.

For those with a Slingbox and an Android phone the integration just got better! Slingplayer Mobile for Android is now available on the market for $29.99. I've been listening (and doing a LITTLE watching) to the World Cup on my commute in to work this morning. AWESOME!

Archived