C4 Forums | Control4

Can Control4 send commands over IP?

spugh

Does anyone know if Control4 controllers can issue commands over IP to devices on the network? My dealer wasn't sure, so I thought I would ask here. I'm thinking of buying a Sony STR-DA5500ES receiver which has a LAN jack and is controllable over IP. I also have a Sony BDP-CX7000ES blu-ray changer that is supposed to be controllable over it's LAN port as well. A firmware update a couple back enabled this (I think), at least it is discoverable on my network now, but can't do anything more than that. Both of these also have RS-232 ports, so it's not as big a deal with them, but I also have 2 Series3 HD Tivos that now have support to be controlled over IP. It looks like Crestron worked with Tivo to build in this feature (at least according to this article: http://www.slashgear.com/tivo-network-control-via-telnet-courtesy-of-crestron-0111438/) and the option is available on my Tivos' menus. Apparently, they implemented it in such a way that you can Telnet to the Tivo on a particular port and issue commands via text.

I was just curious if anyone has implemented anything similar with Control4 controllers and IP commands.

Thanks,

Steve

If there is a C4 driver that implements the correct protocol for communicating to the target device then yes, C4 can issue commands/talk to that device. I have an Elk M1 alarm system and two IP cameras that C4 talks to via IP. Not sure about your devices though since I don't have those in my system.

Interesting your dealer does not know that this is possible. You would think that this topic would be covered when they attend C4 training. I would find a more knowledgeable/experienced dealer if you're going to move forward with this project.

I'm afraid the dealer is the only Platinum Control4 dealer in the area, so not a lot of options. I've only had one initial meeting and may have been talking to more of a sales guy than technical programmer. He may have just meant since they have just become Sony dealers as well, he might not have been sure if the IP drivers were available for my devices. I'll try to get further clarification, or at least ask him to contact his Sony dealer support guys to find out more info.

Not sure how the Tivo control would work since it is implemented via Telnet.

As far as the Sony changer, it is *not* currently controllable over the IP connection, but the RS-232 driver is two-way, and works for metadata and full control.

That is, there is not a two-way IP driver for the unit. It's certainly possible that it can be controlled over that port.

RyanE

Archived