C4 Forums | Control4

Drobo Announces new DroboFS

spugh

http://www.drobo.com/news/pr/press_release_2010_04_06.php

Just got the product announcement above and thought I would share with everyone. I've been using Drobo products for a couple of years and really, really like them. Their "BeyondRAID" solution (while it might be a cheesy name) is ubercool. The greatest benefits over traditional RAID enclosures, is that with the Drobo you can use the SATA drives of your choice: any manufacturer, any speed, any capacity. Mix and match, add/upgrade drives on the fly and the Drobo handles relaying out your data in the background. Just one click to set up the array to protect against either a single or dual drive failure. Drive failure? Drobo automatically starts re-distributing out your data to the remaining drives so that you are protected in case another drive bites the dust. Pop out the failed drive, slide in a new one, and it relays your data out across all drives. Throughout the process you can continue to access existing data and write more to the array. They have some cool videos on their site showing a streaming video playing on a PC while they pop out drives and insert new ones without the video ever missing a beat.

Right now, I have a DroboPro with 15TB of drives for some of my DVD, and soon to be Blu-ray rips, as well as all my audio files. Just a personal endorsement from a fan of their products/technology.

Steve

nvg, that was the only issue I initially had before buying my DroboPro was that is wasn't a traditional NAS. I have a fast, dedicated home theater PC in my rack that is connected to the DroboPro via iSCSI through a gigabit switch, it's not really an issue after all. I don't mind that I have to do filesharing to the network through that PC.

Archived