C4 Forums | Control4

Light Peak ... On the horizon for 2010

rayk32

Are there any plans for this technology in the C4 community?

Light Peak is Intel's code-name for a new high-speed optical cable technology designed to connect electronic devices to each other in a peripheral bus. It has the capability to deliver high bandwidth, starting at 10 Gbps, with the potential ability to scale to 100 Gbps. It is intended as a single universal replacement for current buses such as SCSI, SATA, USB, FireWire, and HDMI. In comparison to these buses, Light Peak is much faster, longer ranged, smaller, and more flexible in terms of protocol support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Peak

Why exactly would Control4 implement something like this?

This is intended to connect devices on a peripheral bus. The connection speeds of ethernet are just fine for the types of signals Control4 is pushing around at the moment, and Control4's equipment isn't even using gigabit ethernet at the moment.

Since Control4 doesn't do HDMI, or any of those other bus technologies, it really doesn't make sense, especially since the cost for those types of interconnects are going to be pretty high, at least initially.

RyanE

@Ryan - I wasn't specifically talking about Control4 as a company, particularly since they don't have a video switcher with the Control4 name on it. I was actually thinking that companies who actually manufacture video switchers would be looking at this technology. I think it is very clear that component video has reached its end and as more and more companies provide devices that hook us up to content, new technologies like this would be of interest to the community as a whole.

@RyanE well you don't currently use hdmi cables but I would hope you aren't planning on holding on to analog cables forever :-) I agree though that light peak doesn't seem to have to much application for control 4 in the near future because the standard isn't even completed yet it won't be adopted as a video transfer cable for a while.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived