C4 Forums | Control4

Speaker Point Question

AS2

We are working on a project that involves three zones - two supplied by a Marantz 2-zone amp, and one C4 speaker point. The system in controlled and music is served by the Media Controller in a seperate closet. I want to use the Speaker Point for the 3rd zone amp, to play stored MP3s on te Media Controller AND to serve as a local amp for a CD player.

Can the Speaker Point be set as a local amp and play stored audio in the same configuration?

I was thinking I might need a HTC.

Thanks,

AS2

Umm, you can sorta do both with the speaker point. As far as I can tell, you don't need a seperate HTC (unless you want the on-screen features). Local amp mode from my experimentations means: act like a dumb amp. Anything on the local input, amplify without fail.

If you leave "local amp" mode unticked, you can still listen to sources that are plugged into the local analog inputs. The distinction now is that you have to manually select them from the UI or SRC. You will not hear anything until you do so. The weirdness with this situation is as follows. If you do select the local input from the speaker point in the room, then you hear the audio with no delay - that's right, there is no buffering from my experiments. If you then select the same local input attached to the speaker point from another room, you now get buffering. This results is an audio signal that is clearly out of sync with what is playing in the room that houses the speaker point. It might not be an issue for the majority of cases, but it is an interesting quirk that you should keep an eye out for.

• 1 month later...

Just set this up in our office to test. Using a wifi speaker point with a CD player. Then a MC and Reciever in another room.

You are 100% correct.

The audio source pulged into that wifi SP input does not go through any ADC so plays with out any delay.

You have to select this as an audio imput using a UI (in our case an LCD keypad).

On this test I expected to hear more of a delay from the wifi then buffering through the MC. You wouldn't really notice it with out a trained ear. Definately something to consider though, if planning a system like this, there is a possibility for some big delays and average sounding audio.

Archived