C4 Forums | Control4

URC remotes vs. C4 SR-250?

szz743

Hi,

I'm about to decide C4 or not C4. This may sound weird but the only thing that still confuses me is the C4 remote.

I've been using URC remotes for a few years (currently MX-950) and really really like the ergonomics, button layout, charger base.

Unfortunatelly I cannot compare URC and SR-250 since I'm not in US and the only local dealer does not have them at all now.

I hope somebody who used/uses MX-900/950/980 and C4 remote can tell me that he likes SR-250 better.

Looking at the SR-250 picture I don't like the layout around "cursor" buttons, "play", "pause" group layout, basically all the major buttons. The buttons looks kind a small.

Is C4 remote better than I think it is? I haven't found any bad comments about it so I hope it's not that bad.

And one more question - as far as the dealer told me there is no way to integrate URC remotes and devices with C4.

URC got RF remotes, base stations, etc. but the problem is that you cannot control C4 controllers via IR or IP or RS232, only limited set of functionality is available and it's impossible to control everything as with C4 remote.

Is that correct? Is there is a way to use URC remotes with C4?

thanks!

If you want to add an MX-950 and a base station to your setup let me know. I have a used 950 sitting in a cabinet I need to sell. My dealer gave me a copy of the software that will update the IR codes as well which I'm happy to send with the remote.

I did a cost benefit of adding the URC equipment to my system vs. adding an HC300 and SR250s and with with control4. It's truely an apples and oranges comparisson between C4 and URC, but I haven't run into anything I wanted to control with C4 that I could have controlled with the URC system. Going to control4 was definately more expensive than adding the equipment needed to use the URC system, but for me it seemed like the better way to go.

Perhaps my biggest disappointment is that the SR250 doesn't have a chargable base station. However, I wouldn't say that the batteries need to be changed frequently and my true disappointment is very minor. Other than that I'd say that the SR250 is a comparable experience to using the MX950, but the dealers on remote central may feel differently. Once you're used to the remote it's not a big deal. The biggest difference between URC and C4 is the somewhat open environment of URC. URC decided to only provide programming software to dealers, but when I looked 12 months ago there were many dealers who would provide the software to anyone who asked for it. C4 requires coordination with a dealer for the basic programming. You can do advanced programming yourself using ComposerHE. Check out the links above to C4Central and C4DIY for examples of the programming posibilities of the system.

Thanks smccray, that's what I wanted to hear.

I think I'm leaning toward C4 because I need ligting control. Without C4 I'm stuck with basic or obsolete Lutron system, I live in Estonia and Lutron does not sell for example RadioRA2 in Europe. Our URC prices are about the same as US prices, while C4 prices are 1.5-2 times higher than in US.

Here is the info about URC devices if anybody interested, don't believe ILoveC4 never heard of them :)

http://www.universalremote.com/pro/products.php

I'd recommend doing a little work to check out Control4 market share in Europe. I don't have any idea what other options exist. One of the things that I considered was whether or not I thought Control4 would continue to exist in 3-5 years. I gained a fairly high comfort level that I wouldn't have any problem having my system serviced in Texas, but Estonia may be a different ballgame altogether- I don't have a clue.

Thanks smccray, that's what I wanted to hear.

I think I'm leaning toward C4 because I need ligting control. Without C4 I'm stuck with basic or obsolete Lutron system, I live in Estonia and Lutron does not sell for example RadioRA2 in Europe. Our URC prices are about the same as US prices, while C4 prices are 1.5-2 times higher than in US.

Here is the info about URC devices if anybody interested, don't believe ILoveC4 never heard of them :)

http://www.universalremote.com/pro/products.php

I have heard of a universal remote control in the generic sense, but never heard of the company URC.

Sorry...it looks like they do make some cool remotes though.

I have heard of a universal remote control in the generic sense, but never heard of the company URC.

That surprises me Dan, but no worries :).

URC makes a very high quality product. I'd love to see some integration between URC and Control4 because URC is very good at making high quality remotes. I particularly like the URC approach of combining real buttons with LCD panels. I can imagine a remote that's SR250 at the bottom and an LCD at the top of the remote showing the same on screen interface- kind of a hybrid between the SR230 and the LCD touchscreen. I like the idea, but I doubt the product would be viable.

• 3 weeks later...

> I gained a fairly high comfort level that I wouldn't have any problem having my system serviced in Texas, but Estonia may be a different ballgame altogether- I don't have a clue.

I've contacted Control4 EMEA headoffice in UK, they assured me that they are expanding rapidly, they train 20-30 dealers from different european countries each week. When I complained about high european prices on C4 hardware they told me they pass my concern to US head office :) Now I must install C4 :) Actually I'm going to install C4, currently calculating what features do I need and how many devices do I need....

Archived