C4 Forums | Control4

Wall Mounting Bracket for your iPad

bog

$349 ?!? Ouch! The iPad, plus the license, plus a frame like this starts putting it back in the price realm of the C4 touchscreens bought at a good deal. Benefit to those are that they mount flush into the wall though.

I don't get the target application. The device has a lock on it and the option of having small speakers on the front. It looks like its meant to be a small kiosk. I guess this could get set up as a replacement for an in wall touch screen - permanently running the iPad app - but permanently affixing it to a wall seems to me like its giving up on portability.

Its also interesting in light of this article today where Sonance is claiming it owns the patent for all in-wall iPad docks. This iBracket is neither a dock nor is it in-wall.

http://www.cepro.com/article/sonance_inwall_ipad_patent_is_ours/#When:19:19:36Z

Looks good for a commercial application but I wouldn't put this in my house.

I'd love to see a wall mount that will charge the ipad when it's docked- perhaps something with inductive charging- that allows the ipad to be easilly removed from the wall and used as a wifi touchscreen.

tell him to be VERY carefull well_armed, the patent is owned by Sonance the company that makes the iPort brand and they are sueing everyone who tries to get by without paying royalties.... the even went as far as to post it on CEPRO.com , as a hint hint that hey " this is ours dont touch."

I think Sonance's patent is so limited that they will have a hard time enforcing it for anything other than an in-wall bracket that is physically connected to an external audio system. Just make the bracket surface mounted and Sonance has no patent claim. Or make it recessed and don't connect it to an audio system. I personally would like to see a surface mounted bracket with a built in charger. I think recess mounting an iPad would look a bit cumbersome, plus you would need a pretty big space in your wall with nothing running through the 2x4 cavity.

I think Sonance realizes that they are going to lose a lot of market share with the iPad. Fine by me as the iPort was a slow, limited product that cost way too much for what it is.

Joe

• 2 months later...

Thats what she said.

Ah yes, 'hands down the best wall mount Ive ever seen' from a first time poster. Just my opinion, but that mount is ridiculous looking. Sure, its a TV mount on steroids that lets you curve around your bed, but it looks ridiculous and it doesnt look like it charges the iPad, so what, you have to keep unmounting it and putting it on a charger? It looks like it screws into the mount so that would be a huge pain.

The iPad is portable, and you only need one hand to navigate/interface with it, so unless youre opposite hand it otherwise engaged while you are using your ipad, you can, god forbid, hold it on the bed while you use it or get a little book stand.

The dude in the video looks like an Indian version of the Incredible Hulk.

What does "first time poster" have to do with stating that this is the best iPad wall mount I've ever seen? Do I have to be a mega-poster to state a non-Control4 opinion?

The iPad charges like the iPhone with a cable and in the iPad's case, an optional dock, all you would have to do is plug it in, no need to take it out. You clearly don't own an iPad.

I've never really seen a wall mount of any kind that was too asthetically pleasing, in comparison it's much better looking, the fact that you can fold this away helps alot. You're right, a book stand might be cheaper but, try it and see how your neck feels after a little while. I much prefer the iPad hovering over me while I'm in a comfortable position.

First time poster has to do with it sounding like an advertisement from someone trying to promote a product they are involved in.

Regardless of if it can charge with a cable, having the iPad mounted to something that is not easily removable (ie without a screwdriver) is poor design. The iPad is meant to be portable, any mount or dock for it needs to keep that in mind and make it easily removable. I doubt many people are buying an iPad for the sole purpose of having it tied to their bed indefinitely.

What does "first time poster" have to do with stating that this is the best iPad wall mount I've ever seen? Do I have to be a mega-poster to state a non-Control4 opinion?

The iPad charges like the iPhone with a cable and in the iPad's case, an optional dock, all you would have to do is plug it in, no need to take it out. You clearly don't own an iPad.

I've never really seen a wall mount of any kind that was too asthetically pleasing, in comparison it's much better looking, the fact that you can fold this away helps alot. You're right, a book stand might be cheaper but, try it and see how your neck feels after a little while. I much prefer the iPad hovering over me while I'm in a comfortable position.

jzaman-

Do you have any financial interest in posting this product? Are you the owner/developer of the product? Are you beomg paid to post about the product in forums? When I see posts like this from a new poster it seems like an ad disguised as a forum post.

3 copy/paste posts on macforums with the same username titled "Finally a GOOD iPad wall mount"

http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=20952565

If you have a product to sell just be upfront about it. Frankly you'll generate more interest as your presence here gives members a direct line to the company.

I'm sure your product is of use in certain applications, but frankly I can't see it working in my home. An iPad is on my short list of products to add to my C4, but I won't be mounting the iPad on an arm by my bed.

I placed an order for the following and will try it out. I'm not afflilitaed with the company and interested in finding a nice wall mount. Price was $65, but now showing out of stock.

http://www.theipadframe.com/

That looks like a perfect solution to putting an iPad on a living room table. If it works as promised that's the direction I'll go. I particularly like the discrete home button instead of a cutout.

Let us know if you like it when you receive it!

akg4y:

The iPad is not permanently mounted, that would be utterly ridiculous. This mount is only meant to be used when you need it it simply pops out from the plastic frame which holds it by four corners. Thus retaining it's intended portability.

smccray:

I must say, brilliantly resourceful. Yes I am the developer of this product, I'm sorry, I didn't intend to represent otherwise, I just didn't know that information was important. I have been a DIY Control4 owner for about 3 years now. I built my system from the ground up myself but with the initial assistance of a local dealer. For a long time I've been very dissapointed with the interfaces including my tablet and was always looking to replace it, then the new UI came along. I couldn't upgrade though becuase of the hardware I already own and I was always interested in the iPhone app but thought it was way too expensive. Along came the iPad app and the new pricing structure. That was my incentive to get the iPad and I loved it so much I was using all the time for web and email. I found it very uncomfortable to hold while lounging and needed to build something to solve that problem and still maintain it's portability by being easily removable. I went through all the DIY solutions on the Internet and fould them all either incredibly ugly or too much work. I went through about 10 prototypes before arriving at this. Since I share the love of Control4 with all of you and the iPad fit within the possibilities for enjoying our C4 systems, I saw this thread and felt it would be a good idea to share something that I created and was so excited about.

I've pretty much seen everything out there for the iPad and for those of you who don't need an articulating arm, my favorite choice would be the modulR.

akg4y:

I must say, brilliantly resourceful.

Hm... See my extra special super secret brilliant research tool here: www.google.com It took one search on your username and I only looked at page 1.

Your initial post below is clearly designed (albeit poorly) as a testimonial about how you think of this product you found in the market place, not as an ad from the developer. In every case I've seen this type of post on public forums it's seen as deceptive on the part of the advertiser. Perhaps it will be a successful tool for you to advertise your product but I doubt these posts have a high ROI on your time. This type of advertisement is pretty easy to sniff out and it's generally ignored or called out- neither one is worthwhile for you.

akg4y:

Take a look at this, it's hands down the best iPad wall mount I've ever seen. Even long enough to be used in your bed! Also very reasonably priced starting at $99:

http://www.theimount.com

YouTube video:

akg4y:

The iPad is not permanently mounted, that would be utterly ridiculous. This mount is only meant to be used when you need it it simply pops out from the plastic frame which holds it by four corners. Thus retaining it's intended portability.

I would recommend making that much more clear on the website, and something that should be done during the advertisement video. Based on everything I saw on the site it looked like the iPad was permanently attached to the mount somehow (looks like screws on the back of the mount).

• 7 months later...
Take a look at this, it's hands down the best iPad wall mount I've ever seen. Even long enough to be used in your bed! Also very reasonably priced starting at $99:

http://www.theimount*******.com

YouTube video:

For what it's worth, dont click on the link above. TrendMicro just flipped a lid about some Java infections after opening that tab.

Archived