C4 Forums | Control4

PA (Public Announcement) System?

dburton

I have a client who has a commercial building with 3 conference rooms and various other rooms. They want to have distributed audio - we could use a C4 AMP. But, they want to be able to interrupt the music and speak into a PA type system. Could we use one of the inputs into the AMP for the PA and then have a custom button to switch to pause the music and distribute the PA sound?

It could certainly be done, but for a commercial application I would probably go with a system intended for such things. Many, Many,dedicated PA amplifiers already have auto-muting capability, and would be more reliable, simpler to use, not to mention likely cheaper. Probably better for everyone's peace of mind as well. I'd compare your desired feature set to something from Bogen or TOA and re-evalute your approach. In my experience, most office type environments simply want some light background music, which should be automatically muted for paging. No real need to re-invent the wheel here. If it's not a critical listening environment, a simple 70V setup would very likely be more cost effective and easier to use.

Archived