C4 Forums | Control4

Variables and Announcements

Hi All,

I created a new variable called BatteryLowLevelAt this is a Number variable. I then set this variable when the remotes battery reaches the different level's i.e.

The Remote has:

Battery at 25%, 20%, 15% etc etc etc

Each event sets the BatteryLowLevelAt

After setting that variable it fires an Announcement that I have "Battery Low" now I am trying to get the Announcement to display the value of BatteryLowLevelAT in the text...

At first I used Display Variable .... but couldnt find it in the list then I tried the two options:

1. Used: ${Variables::BatteryLowLevelAt} in the TEXT field -:> this didnt work just showed it as plain text i.e. displayed "${Variables::BatteryLowLevelAt}"

2. Tried Variables->BatteryLowLevelAt and again all it did is showed the text "Variables->BatteryLowLevelAt".

Has anyone got this working yet? That you can show your own variables in the announcements?

Look at my " how do I make a snooze button" write up. Towards the end I show how to make a text pop up on a 7 inch. If you want it on a tv just select a HC??? Running navigator and tell it what text you want. If you use a tv make sure to also add a line of code to turn that rooms video source to the HC???

Another note is when your remote "checks in" every 60 seconds it will fire you're announcement.

I'm on the road and just remembered you can do the text pop up within the announcement also.

I have the announcement poping up thats not the issue :) The problem is that its not displaying the VALUE of my Variable its actually displaying the Text I use to specify the variable i.e.

Of BatteryLowLevelAt = 25

It should display text "Your remote battery is at 25 %"

But what its displaying (Using what I explained below) is?:

Either:

"Your remote battery is at ${Variables::BatteryLowLevelAt} %"

OR

"Your remote battery is at Variables->BatteryLowLevelAt %"

Its (the announcements text) not replacing either ${Variables::BatteryLowLevelAt} or Variables->BatteryLowLevelAt with the actual value stored in that Variable .... if that makes sense

The email templates are static text and do not dereference the variable. You will need a different email template for each value and then in programming decide which of the email templates to send.

These are announcements... are they the same?

No, announcements and emails are different.

So that's what I am referring to.... can I use variables in the TEXT section of an announcement...

So I create an Announcement that is called: BatteryLow that gets executed at either 25%, 20% etc etc of the control's battery.

OK so now we have an announcement being exectued...

In the TEXT section you either have a text box or you have a Variable Drop Down....

Now in the TEXT section I want to write text like:

Your remote's battery is low its currently at <INSERT_VARIABLE_HERE> %

So in this example it would be:

Your remote's battery is low its currently at ${Variables::BatteryLowLevelAt} %

OR

Your remote's battery is low its currently at Variables->BatteryLowLevelAt %

I would expect the OUTPUT on the screen to be if the variable = 20:

Your remote's battery is low its currently at 20 %

HOWEVER on the screen of the ANNOUNCEMENT its:

Your remote's battery is low its currently at ${Variables::BatteryLowLevelAt} %

OR

Your remote's battery is low its currently at Variables->BatteryLowLevelAt %

So its not replacing the "Variable" with the variable value.....

I know Email's you can't do this I was wondering if with announcements you could (somehow).

The announcement can be either static text or whatever is contained in a variable. I do not believe the text message section will dereference a variable and display the value.

What you could do is assign the text to a variable and then display the variable.

The announcement can be either static text or whatever is contained in a variable. I do not believe the text message section will dereference a variable and display the value.

What you could do is assign the text to a variable and then display the variable.

NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IDEA :) how do I get my variables to show in the Announcement list (drop down variable list), I have a variable BatteryLowLevelAt but I cant see it in that variable list.....

don't over think it, and scrap the variable. create an announcement, and/or an email notification labeled battery at 25, battery at 50, etc. in the text field type battery at 25%, battery at 50% etc. then in programming click on the appropriate remote, check the appropriate battery setting on the right bottom, and on the bottom left go to announcements and/or email notifications and drag the appropriate one in.

you could even get fancy with this. attach it to all your devices, add in a scheduler, weekly on saturday morning, add this to the beginning of all programming as an if statement.

when sr250 battery is below 25%

if day of the week = saturday

email notification to irock@c4rules.com with subject as : 'battery at 25%'

Archived