C4 Forums | Control4

Media Controller - Music catalog Problem

BrianD

I have a customer who is having problems with music that he loads up manually from the CD tray on the MC. He will load the CD and it will go through the normal procedure of storing each track until it completes. After the CD has been loaded we open up Media Composer and Scan the MC but the new disc will not show up. If we try to reload the cd into the medica controller it will say that it is already loaded.

The only way we can get the new cds to show up in Composer is to restart the media controller and then rescan the drive in media composer. This has been happening the past few weeks on almost all of the cd's he has attempted to load.

Anyone run into this type of problem?

Thanks,

Brian

After the CD has been loaded we open up Media Composer and Scan the MC but the new disc will not show up.

Doesn't the CD show up automatically after ripping is finished?

You want to make sure it is still ripping to the correct location. It will put some metadata down in the ".cdcopy" directory. It will create a folder with the timestamp of when the CD was ripped as the name. You can get to this directory by putting in \\[ip of MC]\media\audio\.cdcopy\ If the client is not connected to the Internet, it will place all files into that directory.

You should also check whether there is any room left on the HD for ripping MP3s, particulary if you are approaching >90% usage.

We are heading to a client's house tomorrow that has begun having the same problem. After ripping about 20 CD's now they are no longer showing up on the interface after ripping. Will let you know what we find.

• 3 weeks later...

I talked to Control4 and this is a problem is related to a corrupt media database (mm.db) on the MC. If you run into this problem, contact support and they will walk you through rebuilding the database on the MC.

• 7 months later...
I talked to Control4 and this is a problem is related to a corrupt media database (mm.db) on the MC. If you run into this problem, contact support and they will walk you through rebuilding the database on the MC.

I keep running into this problem (corrupt DB). Is there a way for a customer to force a rebuild? My dealer has done it a few times (remotely), but the turnaround time is pretty slow, and I'd rather not have to keep contacting the dealer. I can see the mm.db file on the network share, but I presume it's a bad idea to just blow it away. ;)

Do you have Composer installed on your computer? Even composer ME should work. Clear the Media List, then delete the mm.db file reboot the controller and rescan.

Thanks for the reply. I would like to have Composer, but I just have Composer ME. :)

I've downloaded a few cover art files and changed a fair number of Album and Artist names -- will I lose those changes if I select the "Clear the Media List" command? The Help info from Composer ME isn't clear.

After talking with my dealer, it appears that the MC wasn't deleting the folders (and TOC and cover art files) after it processed all the .rip files in the .cdcopy folder. I had about 200 of those folders and another 50 folders with .rip files waiting in limbo to be processed. After moving all the near-empty folders from the .cdcopy network share to another PC (as a backup precaution) and rebooting, the MC began slowly processing the remaining directories with .rip files. When that finishes, I'll see if my DB is still messed up and, if so, nuke it (again per the dealer's instructions).

Not sure if this is related, but the MC seems to have a lot of trouble with album names containing characters other than alphanumeric. For example Mötley Crüe showed up as a jumble of characters and is still missing from my touch pads and media lists. Metallica's "...And Justice For All" album also caused problems -- presumably because the album name starts with three periods. Same with Harry Connick Jr. (name ends with a period).

• 3 weeks later...
What is the largest external drive that can be utilized with control for for media files? I'm having trouble with anything more than 2 gigs. Is it because of the FAT32 filing system that control for is limited to 32 gigs, and no more?

I just hooked up a maxtor 300G one touch to the MC and it worked like a charm, unlike the generic one I tried first

Archived