C4 Forums | Control4

Intergrating 3rd Party Matrix for HDMI (Vision HD)

paulbirk

Hi all, .

Here is a semi theoretical question, any help would be greatly appreciated...

My goal is to have multiple HDMI inputs in a central location, with multiple HDMI outputs in 1080p in various locations in the house.

I have an HC-1000, an HC-300 & multiple HC-200. I also have a 3rd party HDMI Matrix unit, this is a "Vision HD VHD-MX0808-310". It has 8 HDMI inputs, 8 HDMI outputs (local and via two cat5 cables per output for TVs that are further away), an RS232 control input and a LAN control input.

So my question is, how do I control the matrix unit with control4, without having to use the separate remote for the unit. I assume I will connect it by IP, do I need a device specific driver? Or will I connect using the RS232?

If I am using the HDMI 8x8 matrix, I just can't see how control4 will be involved. Say I place an HC-200 in the remote room, I could access the control4 system, but how would I access the HDMI signal through that. Surely I am going to have to (at least) choose a different input on the TV?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

P

You tell Control4 what all the physical connections are, and then when you use Control4 to pick a video source it tells your switch what connections to make. Control4 controls my video distribution, it is my favorite thing in the house.

You can control via IP or RS-232, odds are you will need to create the driver though. Do you have the codes?

What codes do I need to create this driver? I think I will control by RS-232. The video matrix has an RS-232 connection, with a cable that has USB on the other end. I will plug this USB into the HC-1000. And then to get them to communicate I'm going to need that driver. Is there a guide for creating it anywhere?

Thanks,

P

Also, In each room the sound will coming from speakers running of a centralised amplifier. Will the HDMI switcher introduce any latency, putting the sound from the amp out of sync with the picture on the TV from the source (e.g. DVD player)?

Thanks!

P

Archived