C4 Forums | Control4

C4 remotes are not IR ???

AJF

I just learned that the C4 remotes are only Zigbee and don't output IR at all and I was wondering how you guys are controlling components locally . In my situation, I will have all of my C4 gear (MC, amp, switcher, tuner, etc) centrally located in my equipment closet (wiring hub) along with all my matrix switcher, sat. receivers, amps, DVD changer etc . I have 9 TV's with 2 runs of RG6 to each homerun to the eq. closet .

The question is, how do you control each TV locally if the remotes are not IR ? All I really need is on/off and volumn +/- . Installing an HTC seems overkill (and expensive) . Are any of you using an IR distribution system for this and if so, which one ?

You run CAT5 to each TV, take one twisted pair and splice the IR emitter on one end, and the 'jack' on the other into your C4 IR outs. The first four IR outs on the Media Controller are 'high power' so you can use them for long runs, though any out will do in my expirience.

If you are stuck, with wires already run, you could most likely hijack one of the the RG6 lines (if you aren't using both) and splice the IR emitter across that at both ends. Not pretty, but it'll get the job done.

Thanks . Yeah, running Cat5 to each TV would be a pain and I will be using both RG6 . What about those systems made by ChannelPlus & Xantech that can "inject" the IR signal on a cable that is being used for video ?

C4 really needs to make a simple, small, inexpensive Zigbee box for this purpose don't you think ?

I'd say give a Xantech a try - and post your expirience up here.

AJF, are you distributing video around the house? do you plan on using an on screen display at each TV location?

Right now I just have my satellite receivers split up between the TV's with security cameras modulated on another channel .

When I install my C4 system, I'd like to use the Knox matrix switcher that I bought and send : sat., security cams, DVD (Sony 777 which I have), and yes the C4 OSD .

AJF, in order to have an on screen display for each room, you'll have the best luck using a Media Controller for your 'main' room's on-screen display and using an HTC for each additional display. A C4 system can be done with one controller, but you'll only get one on screen display. --> this might not matter much if you just want to use System Remotes in the other rooms.

if you can do it, put an HTC locally, and bring the OSD into the TV via a composite or S-video input. When you 'connect' the system, you will tell C4 which input the HTC is on each display and it will switch to that input when needed, you'll also have local control of the IR.

It sounds like that will be the best way for me to go . Even though it's going to cost more, it sounds much more flexible and I won't have to deal with the IR system at all.

Thanks for your help AS2 .

Couple more questions AS2 if you don't mind :

What is MSRP on the HTC ?

Do you like to use Ethernet or Wireless ?

In the set-up you mentioned using an MC in my theater and HTC's at the other TV's, do you make the MC the master and all of the HTC's slaves ?

Archived