C4 Forums | Control4

Garage Door C4 Automation

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered before but a search of this forum and Google didn't help much.

I'm looking to automate my garage door. I haven't been able to find a single source which tells me ALL the products I'll need to do this.

From what I can tell I need the following:

1 Card Access Wireless Contact Sensor (I'm guessing this is for the status of the garage door)

1 Card Access Wireless Contact Relay Zigbee Pro (including 12V External Power Supply) (Guessing this is for door operation)

1 Card Access Rail Mount Contact (For mounting the contact sensor to the garage door?)

1 Card Access Mini Remote

Is there anything I'm missing in order to make this work?

Thanks.

Joe.

Essentially all you need to automate a garage door is a way to detect if they are open or closed, and a relay to open and close the door. If you have your door status tied to your security system and your security system is tied to C4 then you dont need the wireless contact sensor. If not then you can use a contact sensor or you can tie the contacts into a home controller if yo have an open spot and a wire run from where your controller is to the garage contact.

For the relay you can do the same thing, if you have an open spot on your controller or an I/O extender you can use that and tie your door contacts into those. If not you can use the wireless contact relay.

The rail mount is not really necessary, you can just use any wired door contact or window contact as long as the two ends can be placed near enough to each other when the door is closed.

You dont need the mini remote, Im not sure what the purpose of it is.

The CardAccess relay has a built in magnetic contact switch. If you can place the unit in such a way that the magnet mounted to your garage door can trip the switch all you really need is the relay. This will only allow you to monitor one door, but it will work.

It is a shame that CA didn't allow for an external contact switch on the relay.

• 2 months later...

Make sure I have this right for a fully wired system.

The contact is mounted on the physical garage door and track to detect if it is open or not. I can use standard 22/2 security wire for this?

The relay will come from an IO port on the C4 system. For this I run standard 22/2 to the actual garage door motor unit?

Make sure I have this right for a fully wired system.

The contact is mounted on the physical garage door and track to detect if it is open or not. I can use standard 22/2 security wire for this?

The relay will come from an IO port on the C4 system. For this I run standard 22/2 to the actual garage door motor unit?

Yes, 22/2 will work fine. Both the contact and the relay can be run to the ports on a controller or i/o extender.

Archived