C4 Forums | Control4

Thermostats

Does anyone know if I can program the backlight of thermostat to be on when the HVAC mode is on heater or cooler?

I want to be able to look across the room and see if it is on means it the AC is on and if the backlight is off then the AC is off

Thanks

Does anyone know if I can program the backlight of thermostat to be on when the HVAC mode is on heater or cooler?

I want to be able to look across the room and see if it is on means it the AC is on and if the backlight is off then the AC is off

Thanks

You can't program the back light based on the HVAC mode.

Nice idea for the wish list.

How do you do this? Can someone help with the programming? I dont find an option to IF HVAC mode is heat or cool or whatever then...

On a side note, after upgrade to 2.0, there is alot of options under the Thermostat when you hit the little plus sign (many of which have V1 after them). Why so many and what do all these duplicates mean?

Im on 1.7.4 and if I click on the thermostats under programming actions then you can program based on:

When fan mode changes

If mode is set to heat

If fan mode is on

Do x

If mode is set to cool

If fan mode is on

Do x

1. Go to the programming window of composer and select the thermostat. It will give you a list of events on the left- select the "Fan State Changed" option.

2. Select the same thermostat on the list of devices on the right side. After selecting the thermostat, select the "conditionals" tab on the bottom right of the composer window

3. Select the radio button for Fan State and then drag the conditionals in for the fan being both on and off

4. Identify the switch and the led colors that should change- tough to give you too much direction here as you'll have to play with your specific setup

So... your programming should look something like this:

When the fan state changes on [Thermostat]

? If the fan state on [Thermostat] is on

-> Set all LEDs on the [Dimmer] to [blue]

? If the fan state on [Thermostat] is off

-> Set all LEDs on the [Dimmer] to [Red]

Then you should be set! Let us kow how it works.

LOL- posted at the same time.

Not sure if it's a difference between 1.74 and 2.0 (I just upgraded Monday) but you might play with the programming a bit. Not sure if the mode variables that akg4y suggested might work better than the fan state I suggested.

Let us know what works for you.

Thanks for the help. One last question.

It lets you set the "COLOR OF ALL OF THE LEDs"

It doesnt allow you to set the color so that the button lights still function in their native fashion (i.e. if switch is on upper light on, if switch is off, bottom light on). When you set the color of all leds, it turns the upper and lower LED on and at the color.

It's ok if no way around as I can look over and if all the lights are blue, the cool is on and if all red the hot is on, but I cant tell anymore if the light switch is on or off

Thanks for the help. One last question.

It lets you set the "COLOR OF ALL OF THE LEDs"

It doesnt allow you to set the color so that the button lights still function in their native fashion (i.e. if switch is on upper light on, if switch is off, bottom light on). When you set the color of all leds, it turns the upper and lower LED on and at the color.

It's ok if no way around as I can look over and if all the lights are blue, the cool is on and if all red the hot is on, but I cant tell anymore if the light switch is on or off

As Dan said, you can set the colors of the LEDs individually depending on if they're on or off, but you're right that there is a limitation with this method that the LED would only tell you one thing at a time. In theory you could set it up such that the on/off LEDs would act as expected but the color would change depending on the fan state- i.e. the LEDs are blue if the fan is on and red if the the fan is off and it's location on the top or bottom of the switch designates the status of the light. That would take a series of nested conditionals but it could be done. I'd have to think through the programming though...

Archived