C4 Forums | Control4

Old Sony 5.1 Amplifier - How to integrate?

paulbirk

Hi all,

Trying to add an old sony amplifier into a control4 system. The only problem is controlling it via IR.

The model number is str-db940.

The remote model number is RM-LJ304.

It doesn't have an R232 connection. It does have an A1-II control connection on the back, I think this is an old Sony-specific protocol.

My question is:

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could get control4 to send the right IR codes to this amp? I've looked on the forums, remote central & google. I haven't found any discrete IR codes relating to the amp. How could I find or create the discrete IR codes? Are they likely to be similar to some other Sony products?

Thanks!

P

You will probably have to build an IR driver.

The model might not have discrete codes. You could try remote central to see if there are any discrete codes or try codes from other Sony models. If there are no discrete codes you could still build a driver and use macros to control it.

At some point the time invested in doing all the research, driver tweaking and testing might not be worth the effort. At that point a new unit that is more controllable might be the less expensive route.

Thanks for your help.

I managed to create an IR driver by pointing the remote at my HC-300 and quickly pointing it away after the button press each time. If I didn't quickly point it away, the remote sent other IR codes immediately after sending the code I wanted it to learn. I think this is something to do with the fact the remote is a 2-way IR remote, by that I mean it has an IR receiver and receives information from the amp itself.

I will try the discrete codes from the spreadsheet today.

P

Thanks for your help.

I managed to create an IR driver by pointing the remote at my HC-300 and quickly pointing it away after the button press each time. If I didn't quickly point it away, the remote sent other IR codes immediately after sending the code I wanted it to learn. I think this is something to do with the fact the remote is a 2-way IR remote, by that I mean it has an IR receiver and receives information from the amp itself.

P

Nice diagnostic work figuring that out. Sometimes building IR drivers is trickier than one thinks.

Archived