C4 Forums | Control4

Atlona HDMI matrix review is up

thecodeman

Could be worse. You could have to buy the Crestron piece at 2x the price. We'll see what CEDIA brings (Just Add Power V2, new matrixes, etc). For what it's worth, an MSCAT16x16 component switch from Key Digital isnt much cheaper.

besides whats at my place " and would everyone like to know", i say i f you can afford it and want to protect your investment from what we will see without question, then yes this device is worth every penny. dollar for dollar this is the best "big" hdmi switch out there. unless you want to use the crestron switch "and i guess you wouldn't be here would you, and the cost wouldn't bother you either". for a c4 integration that wants to be solid this is your choice. but if the budget is tight, i guess you can deal with lag, edid issues, and the rest of the issues you WILL deal with choosing other models. i saw if a product rocks it rocks. and this atlona has my hopes hi that if i want true hdmi switching without all the headaches i won't have to go to crestron.

here it is boy's, pony up for true hdmi distribution, or deal with the issues. if not then go my route and look a couple years ahead. hdmi may not be the best answer, just ask sony..........

For $25k, with 16 zones, you could have $1,562 to purchase sources at each of your 16 zones.

Very pertinent point 3FB. But as you know...the holy Grail of multiroom digital video source players just isn't there yet. Sure. The money could roll out 16 boxee boxes, 16 macmini media players, or 16 xbmc running HTPC's, or 16 Dunes..all with a central server.. Or 16 'whatever' players....probably even get you a great Niveus sysytem. And you're sure to be left with change. But then what?

The crucial issue is how do you co-ordinate all this and maintain it all with firmware and software upgrades? Etc etc. Then what are you going to do? Put in 16 UPS's and Employ a full time live in computer geek to maintain the network and relaunch the inevitable DLNA drop outs? :rolleyes:

We all know what we want. We all know, what you rightly say is this answer. We all know it's theoretically...even practically achievable... But there just isn't the product out there that would pull it all together.

Vonos (Video Sonos) is what we need. Vonos with .iso blu ray capabilities and liveTV/cable DVR recording. With Plug and play streaming of any other video source into any Vonos zone player. And customer app loading of any IPTV content source together with a clean, user editable GUI...Something that can just be purchased from the local TV retailer and networked right out of the box...with added Vonos zones just slotted in as the need arises...Oh and all controlled by an iPad and/or 2 way C4 driver.

Call me crazy, but lets all get together and make it happen. Hold a brainstorming session. Anybody want to finance a startup? :D

I'm sure you'll find that about the same time I find a closet that showers me, drys me off, styles my hair, presses my suit and gets me dressed every morning.

Using the shower, closet, bathroom and dry cleaners is just unacceptable. I need one thing to handle it all, and to work via voice command.

I'm sure you'll find that about the same time I find a closet that showers me, drys me off, styles my hair, presses my suit and gets me dressed every morning.

Using the shower, closet, bathroom and dry cleaners is just unacceptable. I need one thing to handle it all, and to work via voice command.

Yep. You got it! The two closest platforms I can find right now are Niveus and Sage. But both fall short IMHO for various reasons. That's why I say there is a huge gap in the market for this sort of product. Mind you, an updated C4 media player would go pretty close. I mean if the C4 media player could stream liveTV/cable card. Record this onto a central NAS. Then pick up the recording on any C4 media player "zone". And allow IPTV feeds and handle Blu Ray .iso...25K could just about buy you 16 C4 Media players :cool:

But given 3FB's point that this sort of setup is an alternative to a 25K Matrix switch..there is your pitch to the venture capitalist's right there :cool:

I think that in a few years we'll see the big brands making TV's with a built-in HDBaseT input, and also sources with a built-in HDBaseT output.

We'll also see the same brands, or smaller third party shops selling pre-configured managed switches that will route the source to any zone, and be controlled by 3rd party automation software (just like JAP's HDMI over IP).

When we get to the point where a consumer sees that video distribution is a money-saver (e.g. you only pay about $500-$1000 for a managed switch), only then will video distribution really catch on. Obviously, I mean "money saver" in the application of a large home with at least 4 or 5 TV's and the user demands TV and movies at each controlled by automation, not "money saver" in the application of the average wall mart or Costco shopper that owns only one or two TVs and one or two blu-ray players.

It will also be a boon to the home automation industry, because people will see they can save money by centrally locating their components and having a home automation system control it all, rather than having a separate set of sources in each room.

In the meantime, the few people that will buy this Atlona switch will not be the type that read this forum, I assure you.

We'll also see the same brands, or smaller third party shops selling pre-configured managed switches that will route the source to any zone, and be controlled by 3rd party automation software (just like JAP's HDMI over IP).

Interesting. So other than POI and longer 100m HDMI 1.4 runs, what else does HDBaseT have to offer? 3FB, what you say still indicates a future going down the "matrix" path. I see a future in small peripheral based " zone" player devices (like Sonos) co-ordinated and pulling all the video from a central source. If not imbedded in the video screen (like DLNA) then a least small enough not to be seen...perhaps mounted flat behind or just above the screen. Something like a small HC200 with imbedded video/tv distribution :cool: You're still going to need control right out at the zone...to co-ordinate all the receivers etc. If I was working at C4..that's were I'd be spending my R&D right now :)

It should be pointed out that most dealers will sell them much less than the $25k MSRP.

really? hmmm. funny that you would think that since we sold the first in in the U.S. And the "official" press release and public sale of the switch happened on the same day i wrote the review. So which dealers are you talking about?

Archived