C4 Forums | Control4

Fireplace Switch Install

SuperSpiker

There are only two wires coming from my existing fireplace switch. (Black, and Black with white stripe)

Does this mean the C4 fireplace switch my dealer had me buy wont work this wiring setup?

What do I need to make this fireplace switch work?

Thanks.

There are only two wires coming from my existing fireplace switch. (Black, and Black with white stripe)

Does this mean the C4 fireplace switch my dealer had me buy wont work this wiring setup?

What do I need to make this fireplace switch work?

Thanks.

Based on the info you have provided the C4 fireplace switch will not work in your install.

Could I use a C4 switch instead?

Not with the existing wiring. The problem is that you have no power at the wall box to power the fireplace switch.

Can you fish additional wires to the wall box? If you could do this you could use the fireplace switch. The fireplace switch is basically a relay. The switch also requires power, either 110 volt or a low voltage supply. The advantage of this method is that the fireplace appears as a fireplace icon in the GUI.

An alternate method (and more costly) would be to use C4 switch and a Card Access relay. The C4 switch would go in the wall and be powered via low voltage over the existing pair of wires. The Card Access relay would go inside the fireplace and be powered by 110 volt and also be attached to the fireplace control. The disadvantage of this method is that the fireplace appears as a light icon in the GUI.

There is a thread on this in the forum already.

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=4614

I found some additional wires in the box that I didn't see at first in the wall box. A red and a white wire.

So the existing (traditional) fireplace switch was wired to the black and black with white stripe wires. Tucked in the back of the wall box I found 2 wires not being used. A red and a white wire. Are these the 110 volt or what I need to hook up a low voltage power supply?

Thanks for the help.

I found some additional wires in the box that I didn't see at first in the wall box. A red and a white wire.

So the existing (traditional) fireplace switch was wired to the black and black with white stripe wires. Tucked in the back of the wall box I found 2 wires not being used. A red and a white wire. Are these the 110 volt or what I need to hook up a low voltage power supply?

Thanks for the help.

As mentioned check if there is any voltage on those spare wires. Where is the other ends of those wires. If they are unused and run down to the fireplace you could probably send the low voltage needed to power the fireplace switch. You only need 2 wires for low voltage power and 2 wires to control the fireplace. C4 sells a low voltage power supply that can power the fireplace switch. It is just a 30 volt supply so you could potentially source a different power supply.

I got lucky. Those spare wires worked perfectly. I have power to the fireplace switch! But now to figure out why the bottom LED is stuck on solid green...

Did you use 110 volt or low voltage? If you used 110 did you not use a ground? What is the gauge of the wire?

I used 110 volt and did not use the ground wire. I'm not sure what the gauge of the wire is but it looked like standard size wire coming out of a wall box.

May I ask why you wanted this info?

Just looking out for your safety. :) It is also code in most places to use a ground wire for a high voltage install. I personally would have gone the low voltage route in your situation.

Archived