C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Media Player (C4-MP1-E) versus AppletTV

jandkod

We are about to begin an install within the month and we can't decide on which media device to use. We have over 100 dvd's that I can moved to a harddrive in any format. Most are SD but I am sure our Blue-ray library will grow.

The appleTv can have the broadcom HD video decoder added with XBMC to play HD and allow USB external storage.

I have yet to see the Control4 media player interface. Does anyone have any video or photos of the interface? Does it get the artwork like XBMC does for the movies?

Any ideas or comments would be great.

Thanks

There is no interface for the Control4 media player such as you describe. It's completey transparent - and that is it's strongest attribute, IMO. Cover art shows up on your TVs, touchpanels, iPad/iPod devices just like MP3 music or DVDs from a Sony 777 changer. So if your movies are in a supported format, Composer scans it, gets the metadata, and populates that info to your screens. When you want to start a movie, you simply browse by cover art, genre, etc. find it, press play and it starts. I'm going to put a few more movies in today and I'll post a video of the process. Need it for my review anyway. Functionality in 2.0 is the same as in previous versions, so far as I can tell.

Here's the link. This was demonstrating how the EVA9150 works, but the C4 media player is the same. The only difference is you won't see the Netgear GUI for a quick second, and you won't get the DVD menu. The DVD will just start playing. The C4 Media Player doesn't support the DVD menu structure.

You shouldn't be selling the C4 media player in it's current state. The lack of menu support and the way it handles audio is a non-starter. This said, look elsewhere.

The Acer Revo with XBMC or the EVA9150 for cover art integration with C4. Otherwise you can check the Dune and/or PCH. I didn't mention the ATV beacuse we're expecting an IOS based rerev of that product and the existing h/w will be a dead-end.

You shouldn't be selling the C4 media player in it's current state. The lack of menu support and the way it handles audio is a non-starter. This said, look elsewhere.

I'll disagree, and here's why - it depends 100% on how you have your movies stored and whether or not you care about the menu structure or extra features.

Many times people dont care - they just want to start the movie right away, in English. The Control4 media player is perfect in that regard - the movies are stored in Video_TS (vob) file structure, allowing for chapter skip, fast forward, and rewind.

If you do care about being able to re-burn the movies from an .iso image, or menu structure to see the special features, etc - then yes, look at XBMC or Netgear.

If your media isn't currently in a supported format, then you'll be unhappy with the C4 media player. If you're just starting out - it's incredibly easy to rip to a supported format.

^ Party line. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Versatility is part of the fair value exchange and the C4 media player just doesn't have it.

Really? Have you missed the fact that I've blasted the product publicly many times before since it's release? Or promoted the XBMC, Netgear 9100/9150, Zatabit, Niveus, and Fusion as alternatives? I know you're here often enough to have seen that. People want to know what it's good for, so I'm telling them. Doesn't sound very "curtain-ny" to me. JMO.

If you do care about being able to re-burn the movies from an .iso image, or menu structure to see the special features, etc - then yes, look at XBMC or Netgear.

From what you are saying above, XBMC and Netgear will not show options in the movies, i.e. changing the audio or showing director commentary?

If you do care about being able to re-burn the movies from an .iso image' date=' or menu structure to see the special features, etc - then yes, look at XBMC or Netgear.[/quote']

From what you are saying above, XBMC and Netgear will not show options in the movies, i.e. changing the audio or showing director commentary?

I think you mis-understood. Those options *will* give DVD menu structure support. Control4's media player will *not* at this time. They may firmware update it to include that support, they may not.

^ The curtain was a reference to the wizard of Oz. If you took it as some sort of other dig then you certainly have my apology.

To open with "I'll disagree" sets a line in the sand. Whether you've blasted the product in the past or not (I know that, but perhaps the OP does not).

This said, I don't dispute the content of your post. Reads to me like - "you can only use and be satisfied with the C4 media player under these limited set of circumstances".

Again value for your dollar I can't see how anyone could recommend that product. As a dealer I would be equally concerned about the customer outgrowing its limited set of capabilities in a short time as well. Especially when the OP has indicated BD may be part of the media library.

The product as engineered is a dichotomy. An overly simplified media player for a market niche that caters to the technically advanced.

^ The curtain was a reference to the wizard of Oz. If you took it as some sort of other dig then you certainly have my apology.

To open with "I'll disagree" sets a line in the sand. Whether you've blasted the product in the past or not (I know that, but perhaps the OP does not).

This said, I don't dispute the content of your post. Reads to me like - "you can only use and be satisfied with the C4 media player under these limited set of circumstances".

Again value for your dollar I can't see how anyone could recommend that product. As a dealer I would be equally concerned about the customer outgrowing its limited set of capabilities in a short time as well. Especially when the OP has indicated BD may be part of the media library.

The product as engineered is a dichotomy. An overly simplified media player for a market niche that caters to the technically advanced.

Sorry if I mis-read you there. Apparently the "tone" plugin for the Internet isn't working today :)

Yes, it's true that if you're okay being confined to that "bubble" of limited features for the Control4 media player then it's a great device. The majority of the audience of this forum will not, as you say - especially when the Netgear boxes or an Acer Revo with XBMC cost just as much but offer more features.

There are so many options and yet so much "incompletion" I would bet that this is why media players are a huge debate topic.

Personally, I hope that C4 comes out with a better one at CEDIA, and says "Yeah, sorry about that first one. But this one supports HD much better!" Or something like that.;)

Here's the video I just took, showing how movie selection works with the media player and 2.0:

After the movie loads, the transport controls are the same as a dvd - for FF, RW, skip next/back, etc.

Apologies for the color being off on the GUI. My camcorder doesn't like low-light very well.

Otherwise you can check the Dune and/or PCH. I didn't mention the ATV beacuse we're expecting an IOS based rerev of that product and the existing h/w will be a dead-end.

Two questions on the above comment.

1. Can Dune HD base 3 be integrated into the C4 GUI? Need to make it easy for the wife.

2. The expected IOS rerev. What will this do to the ATV?

For Dune I was trying to find the description of IP control in the release and couldn't find it.

It looks like you can vote for new updates http://dune-hd.com/features

If this a the next best thing, then getting all C4 forum members to vote will help. To be in the top 7 would need 2000+ votes.

I am too new to C4 to know what to vote for on the list.

Otherwise you can check the Dune and/or PCH. I didn't mention the ATV beacuse we're expecting an IOS based rerev of that product and the existing h/w will be a dead-end.

Two questions on the above comment.

1. Can Dune HD base 3 be integrated into the C4 GUI? Need to make it easy for the wife.

2. The expected IOS rerev. What will this do to the ATV?

1. No not yet. There's no IP control for it yet either (see Diamonds post #22) but there is hope.

2. Don't know yet. But the new device will more than likely be based on a new h.w platform based on what's in circulation. The old platform will be deprecated and relegated to a hobbyist toy.

Here's the video I just took, showing how movie selection works with the media player and 2.0:

After the movie loads, the transport controls are the same as a dvd - for FF, RW, skip next/back, etc.

Apologies for the color being off on the GUI. My camcorder doesn't like low-light very well.

I'm not too clear on where the Media Player is supposed to be a good fit?

I have a 777ES DVD Mega changer like a bunch of folks, and I'm looking to the new 7000ES for BR playback very soon. I use an Escient Fireball to front-end my 777, and that has been working well, except that Escient is dead, and there is no BR playback driver capability built into my Fireball (DVDM300).

I'd like to get a replacement front-end that will integrate well with a C4 2.0 system... and your videos seem to show it doing mostly what I would want it to do... (nevermind that I will REALLY miss the Fireball interface).

What are the caveats to the Media Player? I heard some mention audio handling, but without an explanation in this thread... what else?

Ideally, the 400$ pricetag doesn't sound bad to me (given that the Fireball was over $4k when new) as long as it can control and front end my DVD changer, and eventually, my incoming BR changer later this year.

Thanks!

Don

Archived