C4 Forums | Control4

Supercool Outlet Plate

spugh

Hey guys,

Saw these in Home Depot tonight and thought what a fantastic idea. I have always loved the look of decora style switches and outlets. Unfortunately, each house I've owned has had the standard versions of both. Never went through the time or expense of replacing each and every switch and outlet for a full conversion.

Now, with replacing the switches with decora style C4 dimmers/switches/keypads, I was considering replacing the outlets to match. These outlet covers pretty much eliminate the time part of the process and most of the expense as well. going rate at Home Depot was around $2.25 each, I think. It is listed on their website, but the picture for that listing is completely wrong. http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Wall-Plates-Accessories/Decorator-Cover/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1Zbm8mZfs/R-100156927/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I figured there would be other OCD kind of people on here who want everything to match, so wanted to share :D

http://www.taymac.com/2500w.html

Steve

I can vouch for these outlet covers, they are great. I bought a 2 year old house with nice quality electrical outlets but they were not decora style and they were beige instead of white like my Control4 switches. I'm a bit of a prefectionist and was very leery of using a simple cover to change the outlet's color and style. I've lived in the house for 2 years since I changed the covers and I haven't had any problems with them at all, I never even think of the fact that they are just covers.

Same here.. changed out all the outlets and other non C4 switches to Decora style in the bar, and went to black as my walls are a dark blue. Made them disappear on the wall, much nicer than the builder beige look :D

Don't they end up being quite thick? The standard outlets stick out through the holes in the wall plate a little bit, and if this plate sits ON TOP of them, it seems if would have to "reach back" a fair amount to touch the wall. I'd be interested to see a profile shot of one of these after install.

Don't they end up being quite thick? The standard outlets stick out through the holes in the wall plate a little bit, and if this plate sits ON TOP of them, it seems if would have to "reach back" a fair amount to touch the wall. I'd be interested to see a profile shot of one of these after install.

No, they hardly stick out any further than regular wall plates (may a 32nd of inch). The part that covers the plug is very thin. They are an excellent option instead of replacing all of the standar plugs and covers to get a decora look. You sort of tell from spugh's photo at the top of the page how thin the cover part is.

• 1 month later...

lutron has a similar kit that snaps on to duplex outlets, then you can use decora plates on them. its thier way of making all thier colors of outlets without actually making physical outlets.

personally i dig this kit....probably a 60 second swap. nice find!

Archived