C4 Forums | Control4

Infinity Edge New TS

tumult

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Initial excitement has been seriously dampened by this:
Touch Screens also feature intercom capability, which can be enabled through the purchase of a $499 (MSRP) license.

:(

That is for the whole house. If you are only getting 2, then this is steep, but if you getting 5+, this is not bad.

I have recently installed 7 audioshare intercoms in my house and I believe that the new touchscreens have the same tech inside. I hopefully will write a review shortly but I would say now that its likely going to be a great intercom.

tum

Can we have more specifics on the intercom?

Is it only for these new touchscreens? Why not add it to the old 7" and 3.8" TS? Both have microphone and speaker?

I've added a FAQ to my blogpost. Let me know if there's anything else you want to know.

http://c4central.com/2010/08/10/new-infinityedge-touchscreens-lower-prices-intercom-oh-my/

Initial excitement has been seriously dampened by this:
Touch Screens also feature intercom capability' date=' which can be enabled through the purchase of a $499 (MSRP) license.[/quote']

:(

That is for the whole house. If you are only getting 2, then this is steep, but if you getting 5+, this is not bad.

But if you want just 2 or 3, it adds a hefty sum to the price.

One thing that I wish Manufacturer's (and in this case Control4) would get that Apple just about all the time nails on the head is Design. I know the touchpanels are only raised about 1/2" from the wall mount (and I love the fact that the mounting bracket is the same for either size) but not having it flush mounted to a wall is another reason to possibly stick with ipads throughout home (besides the new functionality of intercom etc...that the 4store will provide). When I first read 'infinity edge' I thought about how seamlessly it would integrate on the wall etc., but the pictures show otherwise. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions before actually seeing one, but in a hallway where people go back and forth, having it flush mount versus protrude is a big deal....just don't get why they don't 'get' it!

Just my 2 cents! Great product though (thanks for the hard buttons too)!

I guess it depends on your needs. Right now, my system is 100% audio and video, so I get away with using the SR250's and Ipad pretty exclusively. I can see the need for a solid wall mount with lighting and security controls though....

for that reason - this appears to be a solid value.

( ps - check out this cool ass IPAD wall dock) -- coming soon to US?

http://www.i-room.at/flash/ipad-dock/

Well this is an unfortunate news. Since I installed my C4 there was a promise "in the air" about the intercom since all the devices have microphones and speakers. Now they finally release the product and say throw all your equipment to trash and buy the new ones.... I guess the message is you need to replace your equipment every two years.... Or perhaps there is a hope they will release a different intercom system for the rest of their devices?

One thing that I wish Manufacturer's (and in this case Control4) would get that Apple just about all the time nails on the head is Design. I know the touchpanels are only raised about 1/2" from the wall mount (and I love the fact that the mounting bracket is the same for either size) but not having it flush mounted to a wall is another reason to possibly stick with ipads throughout home (besides the new functionality of intercom etc...that the 4store will provide). When I first read 'infinity edge' I thought about how seamlessly it would integrate on the wall etc., but the pictures show otherwise. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions before actually seeing one, but in a hallway where people go back and forth, having it flush mount versus protrude is a big deal....just don't get why they don't 'get' it!

Just my 2 cents! Great product though (thanks for the hard buttons too)!

The reason it isn't flush mounted to the wall is to accommodate the speakers behind the screen.

One thing that I wish Manufacturer's (and in this case Control4) would get that Apple just about all the time nails on the head is Design. I know the touchpanels are only raised about 1/2" from the wall mount (and I love the fact that the mounting bracket is the same for either size) but not having it flush mounted to a wall is another reason to possibly stick with ipads throughout home (besides the new functionality of intercom etc...that the 4store will provide). When I first read 'infinity edge' I thought about how seamlessly it would integrate on the wall etc.' date=' but the pictures show otherwise. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions before actually seeing one, but in a hallway where people go back and forth, having it flush mount versus protrude is a big deal....just don't get why they don't 'get' it!

Just my 2 cents! Great product though (thanks for the hard buttons too)![/quote']

The reason it isn't flush mounted to the wall is to accommodate the speakers behind the screen.

3fingerbrown- Thanks for the information. Never thought of that but that begs the question of why the speakers would not be integrated by the hard buttons to accommodate a flush mount. It just amazes me with all the technology and people working on such devices that they get about 90% correct, but its the aesthetics in design that makes it to the 100% mark. Don't get me wrong, great product and glad to see they aren't abandoning the touchscreens but to incorporate a flush mount on a wall (even aka decora style would of blended well on a wall) would have been cool!

Yes the news was an intercom feature on the new touch screens. The intercom fee is per site and that is a ton cheaper than adding 4 or 5 audio share items or another solution if it is a new build and you are putting in the touchscreens anyway.

Also, the price for the screen itself is very nice and I think the 5" pricing is going to be amazing. Thank you iPad for bringing it down. :)

Mongo,

Cool in-wall dock, but at 699 Euros ($975USD), I don't see anyone actually buying one. Especially when you consider that price is likely to climb even higher if they have to pay a licensing fee to Sonance in the US for the ridiculous patent they are claiming ownership over the iPad in-wall docks. I certainly hope someone challenges that one in court and wins, since the iPad is obviously not a "handheld audio device" (which is what their patent covers). It's a friggin' tablet COMPUTER. Sorry for the rant, that just ticks me off that this company is delaying development and sale of these docks.

The C4 touchscreens are a cool idea. I'll say it would have made more sense to me to be completely flush-mount as well. If they were going to add intercom functionality, then integrating a video camera for video-intercom would have been an awesome addition. The privacy issues looks like they have been addressed, but a physical sliding cover for the lens is a simple fix to people concerned aobut a device with a camera in the bedroom/bathroom, haha.

Just my $0.03 >;-)...

Steve

Is it only for these new touchscreens? Why not add it to the old 7" and 3.8" TS? Both have microphone and speaker?

I've added a FAQ to my blogpost. Let me know if there's anything else you want to know.

http://c4central.com/2010/08/10/new-infinityedge-touchscreens-lower-prices-intercom-oh-my/

Is there a doorbell option in the works?

Is there a doorbell option in the works?

Haven't heard.

Archived