C4 Forums | Control4

HC1000-to-HC200/HC300 protocol

tanzelmo

Directors don't talk to each other. You can only have a single director in a system. You can have multiple *controllers*, but only one of them can be the master, which runs director.

The master controller, running Director, talks to the other controllers through various ports (sockets) to do various things. The different services running on the controllers are the method that the master controller talks to others (dtserver, audioclient, audioserver, netusbserver, etc.).

RyanE

"The master controller, running Director, talks to the other controllers through various ports (sockets) to do various things. The different services running on the controllers are the method that the master controller talks to others (dtserver, audioclient, audioserver, netusbserver, etc.)."

That's precisely the protocol I'm referring to. The protocol to instruct other controllers what to do during actual A/V system use.

C4Soap is *not* the protocol used for Director to talk to dtserver, etc.

The internal protocols used by Director are not published anywhere that I know of, other than internally. They're proprietary, and were not designed to be accessed except through Director.

The Director <--> Navigator interaction is C4Soap, as is the Director <--> Composer, but none of the ones the OP is asking about use C4Soap.

RyanE

Well, there are people here that have written programs (Bog, XC420) using commands sniffed out with wireshark that (I thought) were C4SOAP.

tanzelmo, maybe reach out to bog and xc420 and see if they can help. They've reverse engineered a lot of that stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone successfully wiresharked network traffic between controllers?

I have been able to capture traffic between Composer and an HC1000 master controller (and it is SOAP),

but I never see anything from the HC1000 to the HC300 where the A/V device is connected?

I also never see anything between controllers using the real remote (rather than the Composer's "Execute")

Archived