C4 Forums | Control4

Utah Home Builder using Control4, who are the other builders?

bsanf3

Spencer is a great guy. There are a few builders in Utah using them.

There is even a builder in town that is including control of 10 lights, the security system, a GUI for one TV, and an iPad with license in the purchase of every home. And these are homes that are sub $300k. It is a major wow factor. I would imagine most homes with C4 cost 2-3 times that at a minimum.

I should know. I live in an Ivory "custom" home. They did a great job, and used to notch materials, but only because I paid extra for it and watched them like a hawk.

I would have rather built with somebody else, but they have such nice communities.

Clairification - when I say cheap, I'm saying this from a sub-contractor's perspective. Very, very low profit margins working for these guys. I don't know how the subs make any money. From a buyer's perspective, I really like their homes...

How much are homes in the US? Homes in Australia are quite expensive. Been talking to a few builders here to build my first house and to build it alone (without land) will cost about $5-600k. Land costs about $400-500k for where i'm looking at.

On average a home in australia is 6 times the income of an average person.

I would estimate that the average home costs about six times the average income here as well. Obviously this varies a lot based on what part of town your in.

On the extreme I've seen half acre lots here sell for as much as $750k. On the other extreme I've seen brand new 1,500 square foot homes on .20 acre lots sell for $150k.

I've got a connection to Clark Ivory (the current president of Ivory Homes) and he relayed the C4 advantage to him, but apparently they're not that interested. I think the "cheap" annotation with Ivory is pretty accurate, but they should at least give C4 to potential homebuyers as an upgrade option. It could be one more way they rip off the home buyers with one of their "upgrades"...

Yeah, given there margins, you could add lighting control to each load for only $349 =)

And that is if the sub is willing to install it for $72.

Okay. Maybe it isn't that bad, but close.

My fried owns a cabinet shop and in they hayday Ivory was about 12% of there business, and nearly 60% of there service calls. They grind the subs down to nothing, and then beat them to death on the work. They build nice homes, but they have quite shrewd business practice from what I can tell.

That said, I love my Ivory home.

Love my Ivory home as well. I know Clark, as well as many sales agents. They have deals with different theater, audio and intercom installers, just none of them do Control4. The only reason that a deal has not been made with Ivory, is because the right person has not gone in and made a deal.

Archived