C4 Forums | Control4

Hard Disk Error

rbday

I was away for 3 days and when i returned Control4 doesn't work. Nothing! On the controller it says "Hard disk error, please reset controller". I have un-plugged the controller 3 times and re-set the controller on the right side of the unit. When i reset the unit ... all the IR lights on the components light up for a few seconds then the error message comes back.

Please don't tell me the controller died ...:(

It must be a Media Controller as the HC-500 you don't really have reference to the error message specified above. Do you know if there was a power outage in the area? Is it on a UPS? You could leave it unplugged for a couple hours and see if it does boot up. If not it sounds like you may have a defective HDD.

Well, you learned the hard way that a UPS of money well spent.

Sorry about the hard drive failure.

A UPS will not necessarily protect a hard drive from failure. It will help but not prevent failure. Hard drive failure is like death and taxes, it will happen. The only protection is a solid back and recovery plan.

there is a UPS installed ... the other six components are working just fine plugged into it. Does anybody know of a way to recover the music?

It is possible to recover data from a crashed hard drive. there are companies that can do this but is is rather expensive. It could cost hundreds or thousands of dollars.

If you are lucky the system just wont boot from the had drive and you could stick the drive into a PC and read the data.

It could also be more sever and the hard drive spindle motor or actuator is bad. To fix this the drive has to be disassembled and the faulty parts replaced.

The easy solution would be to restore from a backup if you have one. If you don't have a backup you are SOL.

I have one of the first-run media controllers as well, but have since incorporated a HC-300 into my system and I recently moved all of my music and photos from the media controller's HD onto a USB flash drive and connected that to the HC300. Having worked with computers for a long time, I've learned (the hard way) that it's just a matter of time before a HD fails and without a backup, you're going to have some unhappy days...Not to say that a flash drive won't fail, but they're much easier to replace.

I guess its to late now, if the hard drive has died, but the drives in the MC's can be cloned/imaged.

I believe when i was toying around with it i used just norton ghost to clone it to a bigger drive, and then i think acronis to expand it to the size of the new drive..

Overall with the age of the hardware it may not be worth it, but its can be a fun project anyway and that way you can clone it to a backup drive should you ever need it.

there is a UPS installed ... the other six components are working just fine plugged into it. Does anybody know of a way to recover the music?

It is possible to recover data from a crashed hard drive. there are companies that can do this but is is rather expensive. It could cost hundreds or thousands of dollars.

If you are lucky the system just wont boot from the had drive and you could stick the drive into a PC and read the data.

It could also be more sever and the hard drive spindle motor or actuator is bad. To fix this the drive has to be disassembled and the faulty parts replaced.

The easy solution would be to restore from a backup if you have one. If you don't have a backup you are SOL.

Has anyone used Spinrite on a failed Media Controller's hd?, maybe an option if the drive isn't mechanically damaged.

Archived