C4 Forums | Control4

Using Wireless Laptop and MusicMatch with C4

chambrick

Has anyone implemented a scenario where a homeowner can use MusicMatch (or any online music service) on a wireless laptop to send the feed to an analog input into the C4 amp?

The only thing I've seen that "might" be able to do it is D-Link's MediaLounge. Of course we've always joked that the D-Link's should be sold at Radio Shack since that's the kind of quality they are, but anyway...

Take a look at this device. I've been waiting for something like this for over two years now. It makes a virtual sound card in windows and the audio wirelessly outputs via the device. It's amazing. Works like Airtunes for Windows.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1137451822026&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

• 4 weeks later...

But there is no two way communication with the system - right? I'd like to see something where the song name and artist can be sent to the MTS etc... plus the navigation controls work (pause, FF, REW, Play, Stop) etc... as well. Then something like Yahoo Music (unlimitted play / use of a 2 million song library, all encoded at 192kpbs) will potentially replace the need to purchase CDs and RIP music to the MC's hard drive. For $70 a year for that service would be worth it!!!! (It is already now and have quite a few customers that buy into it - but I just don't have an easy way to get it into the C4 audio distribution system - which is a shame).

I agree slemay but I gotta say that this at least bridges the gap very well as a version 1.0 solution. Remember, you're controlling it with your PC and if you're doing that then it's giving you the feedback that you need (i.e. showing what song you're on what's next etc.).

I think there is a market - if someone wanted to write it - a plugin / driver for the Control4 system... for example, Yahoo Music is an open standard (I believe) that could be streamed... just need someone to spend the time to write it... :) (Thus eliminating the need for a computer hooked up etc...)

Archived