C4 Forums | Control4

Apple TV ... meh

bhadams

No surprise that Apple isn't supporting playback from ISO or other containers/codecs. Jobs reiterated it is still a hobby and a market no one has been able to crack yet (probably because average consumers don't understand what it is).

Boxee or XBMC is still the best option for playing non-HD media. I rip my DVDs and have no interest to jump into BD yet. The event did state that consumers what HD.

Some important notes from todays event:

-No component video on the new Apple TV

-No mention of iOS on the Apple TV (which brings iAds and the all so important SDK)

-I'm very surprised Netflix is available to distract consumers away from the iTunes Store

-Ping social networking could also move into Movies and TV and respond to Boxee's social networking.

AirPlay! It looks like Apple is licensing the technology to A/V equipment manufacturers. This would allow streaming of audio (and Video?) from iPhone/iPod/iPad directly to A/V equipment. This is ideal for when I have guests and they want to play something from their iPod. When will C4 embed this into HC300, 4-zone amp or speaker point?

But will it play a dvd iso, or other digital formats ?

Edited to add: No analog audio out either and ONLY 720P. WTF.

+1...

I TOTALLY don't understand this either. Why go to all the trouble and bother designing a brand new product upgrade without a move to 1080p and the ability to handle all available formats?

Other than ipad streaming (which may be useful for TV streaming...but not much else...why would you put your movie library on an ipad!!)..what has changed?

This was just "honey..I shrunk the appleTV" NOT a development of a new way of doing things. A complete and total waste of time IMHO. Like an "after thought"....Where is the old Apple innovation here?

...then it was over to Chris Martin to distract the audience from the disappointment of it all.....

At Apple they always crap on about "who needs 1080p" anyway...then they are all just thrilled about the new retina display...I mean can't anyone see the irony in this??!! I've pasted this quote from Xero910. Appleinsider. This quote just about sums it all up really:

....Gotta love the whole "you can't see a difference with 1080p" argument. I'll bet these are the same people who rave about the retina display and how crystal clear it is. Fact is 1080p is larger, therefore one can assume that if you view the same movie, on the same screen, 1080p will look sharper, and clearer, than it would in 720p. Exactly the same as how the retina display looks much nicer. Just because one person has poor eyesight doesn't mean the rest of us do. There is a completely valid reason for wanting 1080p.

Having said all that. It's pretty clear why Apple didn't include it. iTunes and most streaming services do not offer 1080p. This new AppleTV is gearing towards online content, they don't care if you have a library with hundreds of movies in 1080p. Pretty obvious considering they buried all user content under several sub menus. Before it was right up front, not anymore. I suppose it's funny when you think about it. When they first introduced the AppleTV, it's sole purpose was to bring your iTunes content from your mac/pc to your tv. Now they've made it even harder to do it's original purpose. At least they still consider it a hobby, and it will remain that way until they get their heads out of their asses.

The new one is great for new customers who have no content, but those of us who have spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on content, it's a slap in the face.....

But will it play a dvd iso' date=' or other digital formats ?

Edited to add: No analog audio out either and ONLY 720P. WTF.[/quote']

....Other than ipad streaming (which may be useful for TV streaming...but not much else...why would you put your movie library on an ipad!!)..what has changed?

I use my iPad to watch the protected digital copies that come with some DVDs/Blurays discs.

OK I finally think I get what Apple is all about with this 'upgrade'

...it's something you get (remember it's cheap) IN ADDITION to your 'proper' media player :lol:

...to stream iTunes store TV and movie content and games off your iPad.

..just forget about it as a universal media player.... it's an iTunes store media streamer...

IT's NOT a replacement for the media player you might have in your main home cinema, or attached to your main large screen TV etc..

....it's not even a replacement choice for a new media player either...

It's just a conduit into the iTunes store

Der......How could I be sooooo stupid!

Archived