C4 Forums | Control4

LG to integrate Plex in 2011

dgbrown

I agree DGB. if it's true...this is huge...but the chips inside the TV's will need to be able to handle what PLEX is capable of dishing up....

I can't help thinking all this embedded in TV stuff is kinda heading nowhere...it's merely rehashing the same lower format streaming stuff computers could handle years ago. I mean take a look at Sony's Bravia Internet streaming. Looks great on paper...until you discover all the DLNA the chip can handle is basically MP3, VERY basic video and jpeg!!!

No .iso. No .mkv. No m4v No flac no acc, no .mov no video_ts...........

personally I think these TV guys should stick to IPTV Internet streaming and leave the higher bit rate stuff to dedicated players.

I think embedded googleTV is going to be the real hit.....

I can't help thinking all this embedded in TV stuff is kinda heading nowhere...it's merely rehashing the same lower format streaming stuff computers could handle years ago.

I could not agree more. What's happening in display industry is the same thing that has happened in the handset industry where they focus less on products basic purpose, which, for the display industry, is to display a great picture, to focusing on embedded applications that are not really needed.

Do you need or want the ability to Twitter on your TV? No you do not and here is why. Are you really going to interrupt your TV watching (Movie, Sports, Concert, etc) to pick up the remote, switch to the "Apps", select "Twitter" and in a clunky way input what you want to Tweet about? There are many other devices that you already own that you can Tweet from and do it faster than on your display. You can Tweet from your phone, laptop, iPad, and If you have an automation system then your TP and have a better user experience.

The same goes for any other Apps on displays, USAToday, Pandora/Rhapsody (do you really want to have to turn your display on in order to listen to music), weather, etc. I can get USAToday on my TP, iPad or BB, Pandora/Rhapsody controlled through my TP no need to turn on the TV for music, weather again through my TP. Not only is the weather and news displayed on all our TP's but I wake up at 7AM (M-F) with the day, date, weather (current and 48 hour forecast) and the top 5 headlines being announced to me. What about those that do not have an automation system? Well they can get the exact same thing sent to them daily on their iPad, phone or PC either by txt or email.

There are only a few app that I think MAY be useful, Netflix, YouTube and maybe an app to stream photos from your computer. But as I said earlier you can do all this from your PC or even your XBox, AppleTV and if you have an automation system your automation system.

Display manuf. need to focus on doing their one job right, producing a great displaying and a great picture, better setting & calibration options and IP control over ethernet (since almost all newer TV's have a network connection). In fact I would forgo ALL apps for 2 way IP control and where the codes are available for download. Think Pioneer and Pioneer's Elite series.

For those who have an automation system or are thinking of getting one installed make sure you purchase a display that has 2 way feedback either through RS-232 or IP. In fact let your installer recommend the display that will work best with your automation system that way you will get a display that integrates seamlessly with your system.

My 2 cents.

I agree with GoGo I currently have a Pioneer display that looks amazing but now that they do not make displays anymore who will step up and try to match their performance for my next display. I don't tweet now why would I want a mediocre display that has a twitter driver when I had a great display before that with no twitter driver.

My 2 cents.

I agree with GoGo I currently have a Pioneer display that looks amazing but now that they do not make displays anymore who will step up and try to match their performance for my next display.

Since Pioneer stopped manufacturing plasma displays, we have been installing Panasonic Professional Plasma series displays and Runco Plasmas displays.

I have all Pioneer Elite's in my house and absolutely love them. I went to buy another one and heard they weren't making them anymore...I almost started crying. Fortunately my dealer was able to track one down so I didn't have to settle for something else or spend $20k on a Runco.

I love my Pioneers. I don't have any plans to replace them as long as they continue working...

Archived