C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Thermostat - Yes or No?

Deleted

Would/do you recommend them?

A client wants to control 9 separate zones (heating only). Do any of you actually access them remotely or programatically or do you simply let them do what a standard thermostat would do?

What do you reckon?

I hated them. Sold x 4. Wife demanded they be removed because they ran much more and never reached target temp. Some have had better experiences, but do a search here and see all the problems.

They can be accessed remotely through 4 site, for with some VPN setups using ControlUI App. You can program them. I never got that far.

More info: http://www.c4diy.com/wiki/index.php?title=CCZ-T1-W

I've been looking into heatmiser stats. Not sure yet how they'll integrate, but I've got about 10 zones, and just couldn't afford the C4 ones. They are about £60 each, plus controller etc., but are networkable and should be controllable either via IP or RS232. If anyone has managed to come up with a driver it would be good to know.

So I guess I'm in the minority, but I love mine. I don't have the "run all the time" issue. Have 3 zones throughout the house, all controlled via c4 stats. I did have to tinker when I got them in order to get the set points right, but I had a professional in to do that, and since then no issues at all. Things I have them doing:

- They're all bound to a fake room called "House temperature" so I can see them together.

- There is a background timer running that ensures the fans run at least 30 minutes every 3 hours to keep air moving in the house. I'm in Florida and my house is built like a battleship, so air movement can be an issue. This keeps everything in the house fresh.

- When I put the house in "vacation mode", along with random lighting stuff, the ac and heating set back to keep things cost effective.

- There is an override to the am/pm settings that fires when the lights in the shower part of my master bath are on for more than 5 minutes. We have the set backs firing at about 7am and when I travel, if I'm up early, this lets the system react and reset the house temp while I shower at 4am.

So yeah, I love them.

I love mine as well. Took a lot of tweaking to get it right, but it is great to have the ability to remotely check and change the tstat temp.

The built in scheduling programs are a pain, and it seems there is a bug that doesn't allow them to be completely disabled, but putting the tstat in permanent hold solves that issue.

I have a complex seasonal and day/night program that factors in alarm state, time of day, time of season and outside temp to keep air moving, cool or heat the house approriately.

For example:

Arming the security system to away sets off a timer and after 60 minutes it sets back the cooling and heating and every couple hours it turns the fan on to circulate air for 30 mins.

There are so many other things you can do with thermostat controls, but for the programming of it, make sure you start by turning off any holds, then setting your parameters and then setting a permanent hold so the built in schedules don't fire (unless you want them to)

Also, you can't change the scheduled tstat programs from an iPhone / iPad, only from the web (Flash) or from a touchpanel / video display.

Overall, I would not want to take out the tstat, figure it has saved me a bit of money in the long run being able to turn on/off remotely.

just the fact that i have access to the therms remotely was enough for me to get them installed. i am not too particular about setting the scenes. besides, my schedule is all over the place and i just can't live with the 4 time periods/events.

i leave the house, its off (or min/max temp). i come home, it starts up and i am comfy in 10 min.

Hi Codex - I've had a look at the Heatmiser stuff and I don't see a connection for RS232. As far as IP is concerned, Heatmiser has it's own control software so although it appears that the system could be controlled via IP, I doubt very much that they would impart ant code details on how to operate the system using IP. Their software retails for around £400 I think.

Edit - I have sent an email to Heatmiser Tech dept to ask if they allow 3rd party bi-directional RS232/IP control. I'll post here any reply I get.

Do your homework; meaning make sure they will work with your HVAC equipment. I have two Bryant Evolution units and bought the SAM controller for the HVAC and the C4 stuff does not work! I could list all the stuff that does does work, but that was not your question....

FYI, my system is running 2.x

For the right price, I'll sell everything....

Do you no a way to get the HVAC and SAM talking with the C4 system? Right now (after 2 months) my installer has only had success controlling the HVAC via the 250 remotes. The following still do not function at all; 1) the OSD via comfort, 2) the C4 Apple iPhone application, 3) myControl4.com

I'm extremely disappointed in the inability of C4 to control the Bryant Evolution HVAC units!

Codex - I noticed a recent email I received from ExtraVegetables said that HVAC was on their 'Comming Soon' list so I fired off a message to them asking if Heatmiser might be on their list, and they replied 'you might be right'.

I know that means I could also be wrong but I'm sure they wouldn't have been so coy if they weren't planning on doing it.

Now that is interesting. Will have to email them nearer the time my system is being installed to see if they're any more forthcoming. Obviously wouldn't want to install those if they're working on others that are a similar price.

Archived