C4 Forums | Control4

Project Locked in Composer HE

matt4gps

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I wouldn't call it a waste. One function is missing- just one. Paul has indicated that C4 is still working on tracing it down. I haven't bugged my dealer to load/unload CPro but my understanding is it might give you the function for a limited time.

Have your dealer add all of the agents. Unfortunately, this is a constraint of the HE. One day I hope that C4 will unlock their software and allow the end users to purchase (through the dealer of course) and program their own devices and projects.

^I'm not understanding. What "agent" was "taken away" that caused this problem? So, it was possible to add vars now it is not. Are you suggesting C4 took away this functionality? First I've heard of this.

As a HE user you can not add any Agents or create any variables on your own. This would make a slam dunk Class Action Lawsuit against C4. One of the selling features of this system was the ability to do my own programming which as it turns out is not 100% accurate..... If they can't fix HE they should let us download Composer since we have paid for a partially non functional product\system. Anyway, anyone know a good lawyer? :rolleyes:

^ Yes. The customer doesn't know this until he has a full system installed and has paid all the money. Have your dealer add a few variable. (A,B,C,... etc.) I've been able to do some pretty good programing, but its fairly crude because I don't have access to the full code. I would have to assume that as C4 has a better comfort level and as the product matures, they will allow more customization on a consumer level. For example, I should be able to buy a C4 light switch, go to my C4 app screen and hit 'Add a switch to my project' and it takes me through a wizard. I should be able to hit 'Add a DVD player to my project'. If the dvd player doesn't exist, I should beable to add the driver via the USB stick. Stuff like that. Logitech sells alot of Harmony remotes. C4 can do the same.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Just upgraded to 2.1.1 and I too have the "project locked" problem. Is it safe for me to presume this issue is still outstanding. Not sure why I just spent 2k getting my gear upgraded and now I've lost the ability to add variables.

It cost you 2K to upgrade???

I just upgraded to 2.1.1 and still have the same problem. My programmer was demonstrating the use of the Add Available Agent>Timer from my Composer software and it was locked. He had to use his software to unlock the Timer agent. After he left I tried it and the Add Available Agent>Timer was locked again. He has to come out again and I will ask him again how to use the Add Agent feature.:(

As to the expense. I have been using Best Buy Geek Squad and they charge $50 per device install. If it is a more difficult device they raise the fee.

I bought some additional equipment ... took 2 days to update all devices @ $65/hr x 10 hours = $650 ... 2.0 license $400, (2) sr250 $400, outlet switch $129, (2) motion sensor $378

I understand all the charges but the 10 hrs. To update that is wrong in my opinion.

This can be done remote and giving the dealer $65 for doing this is a win for both. Maybe I don't nderstand but I would never pay 10 hrs. For my dealer to update my system...

Let me correct this my dealer would never charge me 10 hrs. To update...

I bought some additional equipment ... took 2 days to update all devices @ $65/hr x 10 hours = $650 ... 2.0 license $400, (2) sr250 $400, outlet switch $129, (2) motion sensor $378

Grand theft. But, I guess if you like the work done, cost is secondary.

I bought some additional equipment ... took 2 days to update all devices @ $65/hr x 10 hours = $650 ... 2.0 license $400' date=' (2) sr250 $400, outlet switch $129, (2) motion sensor $378[/quote']

I understand all the charges but the 10 hrs. To update that is wrong in my opinion.

This can be done remote and giving the dealer $65 for doing this is a win for both. Maybe I don't nderstand but I would never pay 10 hrs. For my dealer to update my system...

If he upgraded from 1.7 (or any version pre zigbee pro) and has a lot of zigbee devices I can see it taking a while, but even then 10 hours seems a little long.

I bought some additional equipment ... took 2 days to update all devices @ $65/hr x 10 hours = $650 ... 2.0 license $400' date=' (2) sr250 $400, outlet switch $129, (2) motion sensor $378[/quote']

If he upgraded from 1.7 (or any version pre zigbee pro) and has a lot of zigbee devices I can see it taking a while, but even then 10 hours seems a little long.

The zigbee update always "seems" long, but I often run into devices that don't update as easily as they should due to variables in the mesh topology. I had one that a whole channel on embernet (multiple zigbee channels, large project) that refused to update, took a solid day and some help from tech support to get it going for ~30 devices. In all, the embernet to zigbee pro took 3 days on that one. Of course we were doing other things at the time and let the embernet upgrade run overnight as well. So, mileage varies wildly. Just my .02

$65/hr x 10 hours = $650

This is ridiculous but it's their *model*. Highway robbery is acceptable, if not encouraged.

(2) motion sensor $378

You got punked!

I discourage everyone I talk to from buying C4 because of the 'dealer only' model and C4's reluctance to fix critical/known bugs in a reasonable time frame. 'Project Locked' should have been fixed last year. C4 should be embarrassed that it's taking this long to get it fixed. It certainly doesn't instill confidence from a customer's point of view.

I need to add: The 'project locked' bug came about because of C4's decision to lock down ComposerPro and the whole system.

C4 made a decision about what is most important in their mind - A) existing customers ability to use software that they already paid for ...or... B) dealers' ability to trap a customer into using their 'services' so they are free to charge $65/hr. @ 10 hrs for a simple upgrade.

$65/hr x 10 hours = $650

This is ridiculous but it's their *model*. Highway robbery is acceptable, if not encouraged.

(2) motion sensor $378

You got punked!

I discourage everyone I talk to from buying C4 because of the 'dealer only' model and C4's reluctance to fix critical/known bugs in a reasonable time frame. 'Project Locked' should have been fixed last year. C4 should be embarrassed that it's taking this long to get it fixed. It certainly doesn't instill confidence from a customer's point of view.

I need to add: The 'project locked' bug came about because of C4's decision to lock down ComposerPro and the whole system.

C4 made a decision about what is most important in their mind - A) existing customers ability to use software that they already paid for ...or... B) dealers' ability to trap a customer into using their 'services' so they are free to charge $65/hr. @ 10 hrs for a simple upgrade.

+10 This is a total rip off for consumers.

Well I finally added 4Sight.... but now realized that I am not able to add email agents as well as variables in 2.1.1 software because of this bug. I'm going to call Control4 tomorrow and make sure I am refunded the money for 4Sight since this is the reason I added the service, for the notifications! If I can't do programming to alert me via SMS text or email I don't want to even bother with 4Sight....

The way around it is for a dealer to install ComposerPro on that machine, and then remove it.

The "project locked" issue is because when Composer connects to a controller, it needs to pass a certificate. Installing ComposerHE does not install the certificate on the machine. Installing ComposerPro does.

RyanE

The way around it is for a dealer to install ComposerPro on that machine, and then remove it.

The "project locked" issue is because when Composer connects to a controller, it needs to pass a certificate. Installing ComposerHE does not install the certificate on the machine. Installing ComposerPro does.

RyanE

My dealer refused to install this on my machine due to C4 licensing. If that is the solution it needs to be communicated to dealers more effectively. Also, I'm sure I remember seeing someone post here that that solution only works for 30 days. Is that not the case?

Archived